American Woodshop
well this should speak for itself 

https://www.pbs.org/video/gentlemans-org...ry-e6g0wi/
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Generally speaking I can say I like his show, however he talks to the camera like he’s doing a presentation at a nursing home full of the deaf and/or blind.

For that reason I don’t tolerate the show very often.
Ray
(01-13-2019, 08:39 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I remember the crap Norm took in the FWW article, because he wore a leather tool belt.
There was once a youtube guy whose shop was 100% Festool equipped (walls lined up with systainers to the ceiling) and he wore a tool belt like those gardeners put on when working in their backyards. That was quite a put-off against everything else in the background. I don't understand why woodworkers wear a tool belt with all kinds of stuff including hammer and cordless drill in it, unless they work outdoors or as a carpenter. It is an unnecessary burden to me in the shop. I do have a tool belt given to me as a gift which I never wear, because I don't work outdoors much.

But the tool belt was a telltale sign to many FWW readers that "fine woodworking" wasn't what Norm was into. Die-hard FWW readers think they might wear an apron, but a tool belt?

Simon
Ya know there is a woodworking show on TV, that everybody loves, with a host, that everyone thinks is great .

Said no one...ever.    
Big Grin
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I personally like his show, I guess if you don't like what you are watching, you change the channel!
(01-14-2019, 12:22 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: There was once a youtube guy whose shop was 100% Festool equipped (walls lined up with systainers to the ceiling) and he wore a tool belt like those gardeners put on when working in their backyards. That was quite a put-off against everything else in the background. I don't understand why woodworkers wear a tool belt with all kinds of stuff including hammer and cordless drill in it, unless they work outdoors or as a carpenter. It is an unnecessary burden to me in the shop. I do have a tool belt given to me as a gift which I never wear, because I don't work outdoors much.

But the tool belt was a telltale sign to many FWW readers that "fine woodworking" wasn't what Norm was into. Die-hard FWW readers think they might wear an apron, but a tool belt?

Simon

Norm has stated that he wares the belt in honor of his father. Guessing he wore one daily. That addresses your comment.

As far as the accomplished nay sayers go, I wonder how many of them got their start because of Norm. Bet there are some in that group. Not all, but some.
Norm has been around for a while. Long enough to take a novice into a master.
Stone throwers....
He had, and has the chops to grace the cover of FW or PW or whatever as far as I can see.

And very likely, this forum and Scott's program, Woodcraft, Rockler and everything else at least as we know it today, might not exist had it not been for Norm / Russ. I believe they were that important.
(01-10-2019, 12:40 PM)Bob10 Wrote:  I have a hard time watching his show.  It is in large part an advertisement for whoever pays for the lights that day and the wife tie in.  It doesn't work for me

What he said.
AgGem: bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(01-14-2019, 09:44 PM)AgGEM Wrote: As far as the accomplished nay sayers go, I wonder how many of them got their start because of Norm. 

Yeah, nodding to all that you said.  

My father gave me the aptitude for DIY but Norm gave me the passion for woodworking.
Norm and Tom Silva both keep my attention when working on projects.  I know one doesn't do exactly what the other does but both take on projects 
that I have learned from over the years.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.