Two more deaths
Yet two more deaths due to Fractal (or Lichtenberg) burning
An electrician

Yet another who's wife reports he didn't know the danger other death
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Really sad to see more people die from this!

People need to understand the type of transformers they use to do this. The ones from microwaves can be very dangerous. Neon transformers are better. I have done it several times but I am an Electrical Engineer and understand how to be safe with high-voltage. Even though I use a transformer that doesn't have enough current to kill a person (it takes much less that you would think) I still set it up so there is no way I can touch the work while power is on. Among other things, I use a safety rated footswitch located about 6 feet away from the work. When I step off the footswitch, power goes off.
(01-10-2019, 03:52 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Really sad to see more people die from this!

People need to understand the type of transformers they use to do this. The ones from microwaves can be very dangerous. Neon transformers are better. I have done it several times but I am an Electrical Engineer and understand how to be safe with high-voltage. Even though I use a transformer that doesn't have enough current to kill a person (it takes much less that you would think) I still set it up so there is no way I can touch the work while power is on. Among other things, I use a safety rated footswitch located about 6 feet away from the work. When I step off the footswitch, power goes off.

Yep can never be to carful with high votage.  Even an arc flash shield, gloves, rubber mats and on/off switch like you said is a great start but not touching the wood or the metal itself or even putting something close to the arcs which maybe close to an arm or leg or any other part of the body is bad and lack of respect of electricity.

I know what we had to do in the military while working on anything electrical was mandatory.

I know I would still like to do it but not until I get better and to feel I can use it.  I know before I was excited to get to try it and thought since I have done a lot with electricity I could deal with it but people here helped me to see the light so to speak.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-10-2019, 01:37 PM)n7bsn Wrote: Yet two more deaths due to Fractal (or Lichtenberg) burning
An electrician

Yet another who's wife reports he didn't know the danger other death

Sad, I don't understand the appeal to that art form. Reminds me of something from the 1980's. Maybe it looks good on door panels, but that's the only think I could think using it for.
A guy I work with has started doing this, and his projects are quite tasteful. I'm hoping he keeps his parts away from the juice...
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(01-10-2019, 08:09 PM)mvflaim Wrote: Sad, I don't understand the appeal to that art form. Reminds me of something from the 1980's. Maybe it looks good on door panels, but that's the only think I could think using it for.

The first couple of times I did it I thought it was cool but I don't care much for the look either. Still have the equipment but no plans to use it anytime soon.
(01-11-2019, 09:07 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: The first couple of times I did it I thought it was cool but I don't care much for the look either. Still have the equipment but no plans to use it anytime soon.

I had a few ideas that I told others about to see if the figures in wood would work great.

I thought that maybe using a tree template and lightly carve it in wood with a v tool and just put the saline solution in it that the burn would only go in where it flowed.  That way it could be controlled more.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I know a lot of people that would probably like the look.  And the process itself is fascinating to watch.  Not going to do it myself though, not a big fan of the smell of burning wood.
(01-11-2019, 09:07 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: The first couple of times I did it I thought it was cool but I don't care much for the look either. Still have the equipment but no plans to use it anytime soon.

i think it would look the best on a nice turned vessel. Still not my style though.
(01-11-2019, 10:25 PM)mvflaim Wrote:  i think it would look the best on a nice turned vessel. Still not my style though.

If I do it again that's what I would do. Tim Yoder did a video on it and the vessel looked very good. He got a guy who does the burning for a living to do it.