Rebuilding LIthium Ion battery question?
I found that the Dewalt 28v tools take 8 26650 batteries and got some from Amazon.

Then welded them together exactly as the ones that came out of the battery pack, checked with a voltmeter and 28v.

Then I pulled the control board from the old battery and went to connect it to the battery, immediately had what appears to be a short circuit with blue smoke coming from the sealed board.
This maybe what killed the original battery, I’m not sure, but it’s obviously not workable.

Any ideas on how to replace that board from the 28v battery since dewalt doesn’t support them any more?

I have another battery, but I’m almost afraid to see if it works, since I’d rather not burn up another one.

Maybe I will see if I can find somebody local to rebuild that one.

Duke
Check with MTO battery. Jason Able, is a member here. I haven't seen him post in quite a while.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I had some NiCDs rebuilt by MTO about 10 yrs ago, and they didn’t last long, I’d rather go local if possible so I can dance on somebody’s desk if they don’t last very long.
I use Batteries Plus, they just opened a local shop.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Follow back up here if you get them fixed by Batteries Plus or find another solution. I have a pair of those for the Dewalt TrackSaw and one is dead and one does not last long.
I’d really love to convert the dewalt tracksaw to work on another dewalt battery

I’m wondering if I could use the mount that they make to adapt 20v batteries to 18v to fab some sort of mount for a 20v to power it and then bypass some of the electronics.

That way I could get reasonably priced batteries for it and not be locked into a dead platform.

Duke

Also so far I’m striking out for local rebuild as my battery plus bulbs won’t do lithium
There was a post here sometime back, about an ebay seller who was making conversion pieces for older drills and such, to the newer type batteries. It was in kit form.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I’d love to see a conversion like that if anybody finds or makes one.

I did get one of the battery packs to work, I think either I had wired one of the cells incorrectly or the control board was already fried.

I used the other control board and rewelded the pack while very carefully following the old one, and popped it on the charger.

The charger seemed to think it was full within a few of seconds, tried it on the saw, and it fired right up for about 4-5 seconds then slowly powered down like batteries dying, keyed the switch again and the same thing.

It kept repeating this cycle over and over.

So apparently the cells need to be some specific high discharge cells and the ones I bought on amazon don’t fit the bill.

So if anybody has a source for more of the 26650 batteries that will discharge fast enough to run the saw, and a place to get the boards, to rebuild the batteries, I’d like to hear it.

I’m going to continue to look at the possibility of adapting for 20v.

Duke
I thought those kits were really expensive for what they are, which is basically a 3d printed part.  You can download the design from thingiverse if you have a 3d printer.
Unfortunately I don’t have a 3D printer although I’d like to.

And these batteries have a circuit board in each of them, I’m not sure how similar the pin out on the 20v and 28v are.

I did pull the 20v to 18v adapter apart and it has the board to make the 20v lithium battery give up its power to the 18v terminals.

Now I’m going to have to pull the saw apart and see if the 20v will power it, then Ill see about cobbling together a mount of some sort to jam the battery onto the saw.

Duke