Yellow mold in sheet goods
Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience dealing with yellow mold? Last night I pulled a small piece of plywood from my sheet goods. Once I had it out, I noticed powdery yellow dust on the bottom 9 to 12 inches of the sheet. The sheets are leaned against concrete block wall in basement, but kept off the basement floor with blocks.

Any insights?

How dangerous?

How do I get rid of it?

Thanks,
Bergie
Chosen hobby: woodworking
Forced hobby: Cape Cod repair (follow along at www.oldhomeblog.com)
Not yellow, but I've had/seen greenish mold on mine.
I just sand if off after cutting it up and assembling.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-10-2019, 06:09 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Not yellow, but I've had/seen greenish mold on mine.
I just sand if off after cutting it up and assembling.

Thanks, but I'm not getting this stuff airborne. Probably going to attack it with bleach unless there's another recommendation.
(01-11-2019, 08:15 AM)Bergie Wrote: Thanks, but I'm not getting this stuff airborne. Probably going to attack it with bleach unless there's another recommendation.

Probably a form of mildew, which isn't very harmful.  But you are wise not too breathe in any type of mold spore. 

I would spray it down with a dilute bleach solution first, then rip of the affected part and burn it.
Most likely isn't going to hurt you, but I spray it with vinegar and scrape it off. I've never had any problems with it. I see it in the yard sometimes and in old lumber.
I'd be careful using bleach on wood, even heavily diluted. Get it to strong and may get some white spots.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks everyone! Great to hear this isn't a hazmat situation. 
Big Grin