rust on table top
I use a 5" right angle PC 7335 ROS on the top of my cast Iron equipment when needed leaves a nice finish. Don't think I'd use a grinder or belt sander, they take off far too much material.
I guess I find myself right in the middle of these commenters.  I would agree not to use a grinder, but I regularly load up a sander with 150-220 grit paper and wet the whole top down with wd-40 and go after it until it is shiny.  I have never seen swirl marks out he little curly q's from the ROS and it is easy to get clean.  I would imagine the scotch write pad would get the job done as well, just take longer.  Or you could clean yours before it gets as bad as mine and it wouldn't take as much work.  

Its a tool.  Prepare it as much as you think you need to for it to be able to do it's job.  If your shop is a showroom, then you have to go further.  Swirl marks won't stop a table saw from cutting straight - lol....
I can't help but wonder of those who discourage the grinder noticed you said it would be with a wire wheel or Scotchbrite. In any case there is another choice, you can get these non-woven belts for a belt sander. I've used them and they are very good.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
An angle grinder with a wire wheel is my go to for removing rust and for getting wires stuck in my shirt or sticking into my skin.  I always go with the least abrasive wire cups. None of the twisted ones.
(01-17-2019, 08:54 AM)stav Wrote: An angle grinder with a wire wheel is my go to for removing rust and for getting wires stuck in my shirt or sticking into my skin.  I always go with the least abrasive wire cups. None of the twisted ones.

Wire wheel on a grinder is my go too also.

But like you say them wires get everywhere.  Everytime I swear next time I'm gonna wear a leather welding apron but I always forget.
Vaping Bad.........
(01-17-2019, 09:58 AM)Sean® Wrote: Wire wheel on a grinder is my go too also...

Are you guys storing your machines out in the weather?
Wood is good. 
(01-17-2019, 11:40 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: Are you guys storing your machines out in the weather?

Pretty much.  Tools are stored in a tent garage and rust is a constant battle.  Current system doesn't allow use but is working well, heavy layer of grease covered in moving blanket.

Rust happens quick up here.  Few weeks ago I bought a floor model bandsaw.  Table was in good shape but likely untreated with anything.  Temps was about zero so daughter and I did the dump and run out in the garage.  Couple days later it was 30 degrees so I went out to tend to table.  It was rusted pretty bad.  WD 40 and a sctoch brite did the job in this case.+
Vaping Bad.........
(01-17-2019, 11:40 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: Are you guys storing your machines out in the weather?

I don't have a conditioned space for any of my tools except a small bag I keep inside for household stuff.  Otherwise, they are in a utility room or in my carport.  Humidity in FL can get pretty high in the summer months.
Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but a razor blade in a scraper works wonders and is easy to use.

Barring that, a razor blade in a set of lock pliers will work just as well.
Semper fi,
Brad

[attachment=15790 Wrote:®smpr_fi_mac® pid='7709911' dateline='1547752425']Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but a razor blade in a scraper works wonders and is easy to use.

Barring that, a razor blade in a set of lock pliers will work just as well.

Razor blades work ok but the edge goes away rather quickly.  I've found that a utility knife blade in vise grips is the easiest and most comfortable of any of the gadgets I've used over the last 25 years to get heavy rust off.  Light rust can be removed with skotchbrite maroon easily enough.