rust on table top
  Re: rust on table top by Wild Turkey (I found an old (art ...)
Quote:Once the gross rust is gone do I need to use Navel Jelly or something similar to remove any "hidden" rust or can I just give it a good cleaning and waxing?

The wire brush did a great job of removing the rust -- now I'm getting ready to clean it and give it a heavy wax coat.  

Hope that will keep it bright until I can afford a better heating/cooling system than Mother Nature and a home-made wood stove Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
If it's any consolation, WT, while we were away at Christmas all of my cast iron tools got rusty - and I even have a heater in the shop to keep temps at least 40 degrees. I was told that we had a lot of rain (I'm in middle TN) while we were away. That must have contributed to the rust issue. Anyway, I bought a Scotchbright type of pad from Home Depot and put it on my drill. It did a great job of taking of the rust. And, like you, I put a heavy coat of paste wax on, polished and everything is good as new.

Doug
I have to say that if my cast iron tools were consistently stored in a tent carport, I would probably look at a paint or powder coat for the raw cast iron parts. You just won't win that battle in a tent.