Solid core front door
(01-15-2019, 08:47 AM)Cooler Wrote: The problem is that it is not a full-height door and there is no room to make it a full height door.  So it becomes a very expensive custom door.

Making a door is not that hard.  Joe Grout was kind enough to tutor me.  I can't profess to be the expert he is, but I'm happy to pass along what I know if you want to build one.  Needing a custom size is exactly the motivation it takes to undertake such a project.  The only requirements to build a door are machines capable of dimensioning and handling large pieces of stock and the physical ability to handle them.  I won't kid you that the parts are heavy, especially after you glue up the door.  Let me know if you are interested.  

But returning to a stock door, you said in your original post that your door is slightly undersized in height compared to stock doors.  If so, you should be able to use a stock door with a wide bottom rail and cut off a couple of inches without compromising the integrity of the door or aesthetics.  

John
(01-15-2019, 10:20 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Making a door is not that hard.  Joe Grout was kind enough to tutor me.  I can't profess to be the expert he is, but I'm happy to pass along what I know if you want to build one.  Needing a custom size is exactly the motivation it takes to undertake such a project.  The only requirements to build a door are machines capable of dimensioning and handling large pieces of stock and the physical ability to handle them.  I won't kid you that the parts are heavy, especially after you glue up the door.  Let me know if you are interested.  

But returning to a stock door, you said in your original post that your door is slightly undersized in height compared to stock doors.  If so, you should be able to use a stock door with a wide bottom rail and cut off a couple of inches without compromising the integrity of the door or aesthetics.  

John
When I get home I  will measure the height of the door.  Any door I make will not be insulated.   It will simply be a solid lumber door.  Not a bad choice.  But surely more expensive than the solid core interior doors.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-15-2019, 08:47 AM)Cooler Wrote:  So it becomes a very expensive custom door.

Did you bother to check? 

This past summer we needed a 24" x 76" steel exterior door. Our local lumberyard sourced it for less than $300.

Here's a link to Menards, pick your size $326.

https://www.menards.com/main/doors-windo...390884.htm
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(01-15-2019, 04:01 PM)CLETUS Wrote: Did you bother to check? 

This past summer we needed a 24" x 76" steel exterior door. Our local lumberyard sourced it for less than $300.

Here's a link to Menards, pick your size $326.

https://www.menards.com/main/doors-windo...390884.htm

The 28 gage steel is less than 0.015" thick.  You can easily drive a hunting knife through both skins of 0.015" thick steel.  These doors were designed for mobile homes which are similarly light duty.  

I would want something more substantial.  

I see I can get a single lite commercial steel door in 18 gage steel for about the same price.  18 gage is 0.048" and thick enough to discourage thieves.

Thanks for the idea.

https://www.cdfdistributors.com/commerci...lass-kits/
(01-17-2019, 02:55 PM)Cooler Wrote: I would want something more substantial.  
Really? You were talking about using an interior door.
Crazy
Also, what is stopping the thieves from breaking out the side light and unlocking the door by reaching in?
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(01-17-2019, 04:50 PM)CLETUS Wrote: Really? You were talking about using an interior door.
Crazy
Also, what is stopping the thieves from breaking out the side light and unlocking the door by reaching in?

I'm going to replace that too with cedar.  The interior door would be solid core.