LP Gas Logs question
OK, I was out of LP gas, got some delivered today and have been trying to light by burner on my gas logs, NOTHING, no spark from pilot light sparker, I have been holding a long lighter up to the gas output on the logs with nothing. I do not think anything is coming through. I checked my valve on my LP tank , it is open, I checked my shut off valve for my for my fireplace and it is on also. Could a oxygen sensor on the logs keep it from allowing gas through? If so how do I fix this?

Going to get down in the 20's here next week and could loose power so wanting to get my back up to working.
Finishing: I apply shellac before I apply varnish.
Routing:Hand Left to Right, Table right to left
Cutting plywood:Face up on the table saw
Face down w/circular saw.
Wear safety glasses when using power tools.

First, because you were out of gas your delivery person should have pressure tested your system. You were out of gas for a reason. It could have been you simply emptied the tank or, more seriously, there could be a leak. If your gas valve is on at the tank and at the fireplace insert but you're not hearing the hiss of air/gas at the fireplace insert pilot light then something is wrong. I strongly suggest that you turn the gas off at the tank, call your supplier and have them check your system out and re-light the pilot light.

I can't understate strongly enough how wrong they were not to test your system since it was out of gas. This is a serious violation of NPGA guidelines. I know their insurance company would not approve.
It's mandatory for the gas people to check your system, light all pilot lights, check all appliances, and usually there is a fee charged for out-of-gas situations.

How far away is your tank to the gas fireplace? It takes several minutes sometimes to get the air out and gas flowing.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-16-2019, 01:12 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: It's mandatory for the gas people to check your system, light all pilot lights, check all appliances,  and usually there is a fee charged for out-of-gas situations.

How far away is your tank to the gas fireplace? It takes several minutes sometimes to get the air out and gas flowing.

What they said, every time you empty the tank the system HAS to be tested. When we moved into this house the tank was empty. After I got service back, the LP guy tested the system and then he re-lit the fireplace. It took over 40 minutes to get gas back up to the basement fireplace. Those orifices let very little gas through and your potentially purging a lot of air. Actually, I quite surprised they re-filled the tank without checking the system, I don't think they are allowed (by law) to do that, at least around here.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
not to pile on, but we just bought a house with an LP tank and gas logs.  We had the gas company come out and turn on the valves and restart the fireplace pilot etc.  He fiddled with it all day, and told me to never turn off the gas at the tank and if we ever did, to call them and they would come back out.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
(01-16-2019, 10:03 AM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote:  He fiddled with it all day, and told me to never turn off the gas at the tank and if we ever did, to call them and they would come back out.

I deal with 3 places that get winterized every year and the propane is shut off at the tank. It's no big deal to relight the pilot, but it does take 15-20min for the propane to get to the stove and we're only talking maybe 80'?
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(01-15-2019, 09:13 PM)NorthGaMan Wrote: OK, I was out of LP gas, got some delivered today and have been trying to light by burner on my gas logs, NOTHING, no spark from pilot light sparker, I have been holding a long lighter up to the gas output on the logs with nothing. I do not think anything is coming through. I checked my valve on my LP tank , it is open, I checked my shut off valve for my for my fireplace and it is on also. Could a oxygen sensor on the logs keep it from allowing gas through? If so how do I fix this?

Going to get down in the 20's here next week and could loose power so wanting to get my back up to working.

It takes some time for me to light my pilot as well. Maybe you didn't give it enough time to reach there.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(01-15-2019, 11:14 PM)dg152 Wrote: First, because you were out of gas your delivery person should have pressure tested your system.  You were out of gas for a reason.  It could have been you simply emptied the tank or, more seriously, there could be a leak.  If your gas valve is on at the tank and at the fireplace insert but you're not hearing the hiss of air/gas at the fireplace insert pilot light then something is wrong.  I strongly suggest that you turn the gas off at the tank, call your supplier and have them check your system out and re-light the pilot light.

I can't understate strongly enough how wrong they were not to test your system since it was out of gas.  This is a serious violation of NPGA guidelines.  I know their insurance company would not approve.

I had used all the gas in the tank, no leak and he did pressure test and check all fittings outside before filling the tank.

Does the gas log have a pilot light?
(01-16-2019, 09:47 PM)EdL Wrote: Does the gas log have a pilot light?

Yes on the pilot light. I used can air to blow everything out really well, then run vacuum over it all, then it worked. So all is good and ready to be used when needed.

Thanks everyone.