What is good way to clean pine pitch off bandsaw tires?
I've been ripping big-box pine 4X4's and the tires and the blade have a build-up of pitch/sawdust. It needs cleaning. My first thought was mineral spirits and a stiff brush. Perhaps there is a better solution? It's a 14" delta bandsaw. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
(01-16-2019, 02:06 PM)rectangle618 Wrote: I've been ripping big-box pine 4X4's and the tires and the blade have a build-up of pitch/sawdust.  It needs cleaning.  My first thought was mineral spirits and a stiff brush.  Perhaps there is a better solution?  It's a 14" delta bandsaw.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

That's pretty stiff, or still sticky?  I just take a round screwdriver shank and press while I turn the wheel.  The tires are flexible,  and the stuff flakes off as they flex.

If still sticky, wait a day for best results.

Blade cleans with solvent.  WD40's fine.  Be sure to rotate id in reverse!
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Simple green works well on saw blades after soaking.

(01-16-2019, 06:42 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Simple green works well on saw blades after soaking.
Simple green works on almost everything.
Winkgrin 
Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
I used to plane a lot of white pine and there’s nothing pitchier than that. The best solvent I found for cleaning up the rollers was kerosene or #1 diesel fuel. Stinks so don’t do it in a house but its ok in a shop
I use windex and a scotchbright pad (light scrubbing) on the wheels and blade to remove the pine tar or any build-up.
(01-16-2019, 02:06 PM)rectangle618 Wrote: I've been ripping big-box pine 4X4's and the tires and the blade have a build-up of pitch/sawdust.  It needs cleaning.  My first thought was mineral spirits and a stiff brush.  Perhaps there is a better solution?  It's a 14" delta bandsaw.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Turpentine dissolves pine rosin.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I just let it dry up and then take a scrap wood stick and scrap it off.
The blade, I just run a chunk of cottonwood through it and it will remove most of the buildup.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-17-2019, 12:05 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I just let it dry up and then take a scrap wood stick and scrap it off.
The blade, I just run a chunk of cottonwood through it and it will remove most of the buildup.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I can report complete success. The 100 foot cottonwoods in my neighbor's forest are safe for now. I folded the blade and soaked it in mineral spirits thinking it would soften the crud enough to be scraped off. Instead, it all fell off on its own in less than an hour. Blade is clean and ready to go. Taking MichaelM.'s and Stwood's advice, I let the wheels dry out overnight. The pitch/sawdust buildup flaked off the tires easily with an old and worn screwdriver blade. I'll go over them with some Simple Green to get the last bits.
While the machine was 'down', I took the opportunity to clean and lubricate the moving parts - something I should do more often.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
I've had good results using denture tablets to remove organic matter from all manner of substrates.  It cleans stainless steel coffee mugs to original brightness without damaging the chromium oxide layer, it cleans pitch off of circular saw blades.  But it etched clear plastic to a milky appearance and I don't know what it will do to rubber.  

You do get quick results and it does wash off easily.  Use very hot water and the cycle takes only 10 minutes.  One tablet is not enough to clean a sawblade.  I don't have any suggestions on the "dosage".  It is a handy thing for the kitchen too as it cleans coffee stains and tea stains from inside mugs and porcellain.  

There are only two options:  Polydent and Efferdent.  They are effectively the same product with different color packaging.  But the cheaper version and keep these around the house.  Very handy.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.