sketchup question
Here's something I haven't figured out if there's a "quick and easy" way to do.
See the image which illustrates this question.
I start with a component (1)
Add a 2nd component and place them next to each other (2). 
I then add a third component (in this case, a Domino floating tenon) (3)
I drag that into position "inside" the two boards where it would exist as a floating tenon (4)

Is there a quick and easy way to automatically cut/remove the Domino geometry from each board component to add the corresponding mortises? Or do I have to manually copy the outline, paste in place on each and push/pull it away by hand every time I want to draw it? What if I wanted to repeat the domino and corresponding mortises X times along the joint between two boards?

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-17-2019, 09:52 AM)mound Wrote: Here's something I haven't figured out if there's a "quick and easy" way to do.
See the image which illustrates this question.
I start with a component (1)
Add a 2nd component and place them next to each other (2). 
I then add a third component (in this case, a Domino floating tenon) (3)
I drag that into position "inside" the two boards where it would exist as a floating tenon (4)

Is there a quick and easy way to automatically cut/remove the Domino geometry from each board component to add the corresponding mortises? Or do I have to manually copy the outline, paste in place on each and push/pull it away by hand every time I want to draw it? What if I wanted to repeat the domino and corresponding mortises X times along the joint between two boards?

Thanks!

There could be an automatic way to do it depending on which version of SketchUp you are using.

If you are using Sketchup Pro, you could use Trim from the Solid Tools to do this. Or, better, use Trim from  Eneroth Solid Tools (available in the Extension Warehouse) because it won't convert the modified components into groups. If you are using SketchUp Make, the Solid Tools won't be available but you could use a commercial extension called Bool Tools 2.

With native tools in any version you could open the board component that is getting the mortise, Right click on the face where the mortise will be and choose Intersect Faces>With Model. This should create an oval where the domino is (or ovals if there's more than one domino) from which you can create the mortise with Push/Pull.

And another option using native tools would be to copy the domino or dominoes with Edit>Copy or the appropriate keyboard shortcut based on operating system. Open the board component for editing, click on Edit>Paste in place and then explode the pasted copies of the dominoes. Erase all of the dominoes that aren't the mortises and correct the face orientation. I might not do this for dominoes, actually, but if you were doing biscuits instead, Push/Pull won't be useful because of the curved bottom of the slot but this method would work perfectly.
(01-17-2019, 11:00 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: There could be an automatic way to do it depending on which version of SketchUp you are using.

If you are using Sketchup Pro, you could use Trim from the Solid Tools to do this. Or, better, use Trim from  Eneroth Solid Tools (available in the Extension Warehouse) because it won't convert the modified components into groups. If you are using SketchUp Make, the Solid Tools won't be available but you could use a commercial extension called Bool Tools 2.

With native tools in any version you could open the board component that is getting the mortise, Right click on the face where the mortise will be and choose Intersect Faces>With Model. This should create an oval where the domino is (or ovals if there's more than one domino) from which you can create the mortise with Push/Pull.

Thanks Dave!
I'm using Make 17 (Desktop version)
Intersect Faces with Model does the job easy enough.. Never really knew what that was for, now I do!
(01-17-2019, 11:03 AM)mound Wrote: Thanks Dave!
I'm using Make 17 (Desktop version)
Intersect Faces with Model does the job easy enough.. Never really knew what that was for, now I do!

Very good. Intersect Faces can be a very useful thing, indeed.

I used it to create the chamfer on the end of the threaded portion in this model.
[Image: 32773033278_426f8896f5_n.jpg]

It was also used where the knurling runs out as the shaft tapers.
[Image: 46663833111_660dec7bdb_n.jpg]

And also for the chamfers on the clamp block where the internal threads come out.
[Image: 31735641707_b87b71c1ca_n.jpg]
cool!

is that last image a rendering? That must be with a special extension?
(01-17-2019, 11:22 AM)mound Wrote: cool!

is that last image a rendering? That must be with a special extension?

While there are some rendering extensions, I prefer a stand alone rendering program. I use an old one called Kerkythea.