Epoxy River Table
(01-18-2019, 09:30 AM)Redman Wrote: Well they might be an over and done fad but they are new to me. A quick search came up with lots of interesting live edge tables with the wood grain showing. Some resembling to me satellite images of the earth.

Sorry I was saying that sorta in jest.. They are seen by the small community of online woodworking folks as a fad because they see so many posted.. But most people out there in the real world have never seen them, and they always think "wow that's awesome!" when they do.. I wouldn't mind making one myself sometime!
just don't try fractal burning, people are dropping like flies (exactly like flies in one of those bug zappers).

I have some wood that I want to turn into a desktop that would work pretty well for this concept, but I think I will leave the gap.  I think the river table concept is overdone, just like live edge.  And calling it a river table will get you sued, some yahoo thinks he invented the term.
Who’s that?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(01-18-2019, 10:10 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Early river table with Acrylic:
This guy has figured out how to market himself yet his work, older than many, seems to stand apart.
http://www.gregklassen.com/

I've always preferred the glass to epoxy filling...
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(01-19-2019, 08:19 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Who’s that?

I assume this is addressed to me.  People have reported getting cease and desist letters from Greg Klassen, who has trademarked "river" wrt tables and other furniture.
That’s unfortunate.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(01-22-2019, 07:25 AM)EricU Wrote: I assume this is addressed to me.  People have reported getting cease and desist letters from Greg Klassen, who has trademarked "river" wrt tables and other furniture.

Had to look the guy up to see what you meant.. He's got a whole page dedicated to his trademark and how many people are copying him.. Some of his "river tables" are listed at upward of $20k!!!  Good on him if he can find buyers.
Hello,

For those who have done it.  Do you remember if you sealed the wood first and with what product?  In my research it seems that sealing the wood reduces the amount of lingering bubbles you have to deal with.  Basically I want to know if I can seal the wood with a sanding sealer like zinnser and place epoxy over it?  I might start my own thread on the question.

Angelo
"In order to achieve greatness we must risk everything"--Steve Jobs
(02-03-2019, 03:58 PM)angelosart Wrote: Hello,

For those who have done it.  Do you remember if you sealed the wood first and with what product?  In my research it seems that sealing the wood reduces the amount of lingering bubbles you have to deal with.  Basically I want to know if I can seal the wood with a sanding sealer like zinnser and place epoxy over it?  I might start my own thread on the question.

Angelo

Watched one on youtube this past weekend. This guy had done quite a few of these and he said he has found it is best to seal all the wood first with shellac.
Hope this helps
Gordon
(01-25-2019, 09:16 AM)mound Wrote: Had to look the guy up to see what you meant.. He's got a whole page dedicated to his trademark and how many people are copying him.. Some of his "river tables" are listed at upward of $20k!!!  Good on him if he can find buyers.

Not so much "if". Greg Klassen is a well respected furniture maker who seems to have worked very hard to build a career on his ideas and craftsmanship. I realize people are fully within their rights to debate the legality and/or "fairness" of his trademark of the "River table". However, I feel it is important to also respect what he's trying to do. He is clearly (in my mind) a humble and grateful guy who - through his work and good marketing to high end customers - is able to make his passion his living while being a "present" husband and father.

Klassen's efforts to connect his trademark with such a common word like "river" is bound to be an ongoing battle.
Yet I, too, would do what I could to protect that way of life, if I were so lucky.

His website is here.

T.J.
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas