First tablesaw safety reminder of the new year...
I was more than happy to pay for my SawStop and not have to think about the lifelong physical and financial costs of a potential injury.
So how long do we have to wait until the patent on that technology runs out so we can get an aftermarket device for our Unisaws and PM66's?
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
It’s not an “aftermarket device”, it’s the entire inner workings and electronics on the saw.
(01-18-2019, 11:16 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: So how long do we have to wait until the patent on that technology runs out so we can get an aftermarket device for our Unisaws and PM66's?

From what I understand Bosch has a better design that doesn't trash the blade or slow down work if tripped.  From what I remember you can trip the unit twice before needing new parts where as the Sawstop requires it each time.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-18-2019, 04:41 PM)Dodis Wrote: And now that I will have spent any possible SawStop money on Dr bills, I plan to add a foot switch to my saw so it will shut off anytime I step away. Plus a way to bypass that for long rips, etc.

I spent my emergency room fund on a SawStop.  So far, I have not used the blade stopping safety feature, but it is there if I need it.

I am on a grant committee.  The local habitat for humanity requested a grant for several tools, including a table saw.  Often times we give less than an organization requested.  However, we increased their grant amount, contingent on them using the extra to buy a SawStop.  It is pictures like this that caused me to spend the money, and is the reason I asked the grant committee to shell out a bit extra.

Thanks for posting.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
The Bosch option is for the jobsite saws only.

For those who asked about the finger-saving option for other brands, it could have happened a decade ago if the license issue to use the patent had been resolved. Festool is showing the prototype of its own SS tablesaw. Its parent co. TTS now owns the SS patent. Not sure if TTS can do anything to prolong the expiry dates as there are a lot patents involved.

The finger injury looks horrible. Wishing the OP a quick and full recovery.

Simon
(01-19-2019, 12:51 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The Bosch option is for the jobsite saws only.

For those who asked about the finger-saving option for other brands, it could have happened a decade ago if the license issue to use the patent had been resolved. Festool is showing the prototype of its own SS tablesaw. Its parent co. TTS now owns the SS patent. Not sure if TTS can do anything to prolong the expiry dates as there are a lot patents involved.

The finger injury looks horrible. Wishing the OP a quick and full recovery.

Simon

I understand that but is there a reason they can't expand the format?  I am not certain which is more difficult the detection of flesh or the method for avoiding continued contact
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I'm certainly glad it wasn't worse, and wish you a speedy recovery. Even the most cautious of us can have a lapse now and then...thanks for the reminder.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-19-2019, 06:59 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'm certainly glad it wasn't worse, and wish you a speedy recovery. Even the most cautious of us can have a lapse now and then...thanks for the reminder.

What he said^^^^^^^^.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

All, many thanks for the well wishes!

So far all is going good, it actually didn't hurt near as much as you would expect. My first thought on that was cutting all the nerves. But now after the surgeon put it all back together, still not much pain, but I have feeling over most of the finger, except the right-side tip, where most of the nerves did get shredded. And so far the most sensitive part is where the nail-bed is exposed, until the nail grows back to cover it. I still had full movement in the ER, so no tendons cut. Dr. expects I should still have full use, just no feeling around the tip.

Phil S - You understand my situation, can't say why I did it, after all the years I have worked with a tablesaw. I have had many more close calls with my bandsaw...

Mike L B - Well, now that the deed is done, my two remaining choices are to sell it all so it can't happen again. Or rig up something that helps to turn off the saw when not doing something to avoid more opportunity for moments like this one. Similar to some of the industrial settings where tools have two switches to operate them, so the user has to have both hands on switches and not in a machine. Buying a $aw$top now won't happen.

DG152 & All - Well not getting into details, so far I have records from the plastic surgeon that fixed me up. Already I could have bought an Industrial model SawStop and quite a few accessories, before the insurance kicked in (thankfully)... Still waiting on bills for the Drs. that will tag along and bill me for passing by my room.

Thanks again for all the well wishes! Y'all be careful out there!

And for those that want a SawStop but your spouse doesn't want to spend the money, show these pics. I just added up a contractor series with the good fence, an extra cartridge & dado cartridge, mobile kit, dust collecting shroud, and a couple of zero clearance inserts, about $2700 from Rockler. FAR less that what my finger surgery cost, at least my insurance is very good.

Mike "Dodis"

Big Grin  I was asking the nurses in the ER if they thought I could get 10% off my next manicure!