First tablesaw safety reminder of the new year...
about $2700 from Rockler. FAR less that what my finger surgery cost, at least my insurance is very good.

Sawstop prices jump  big in a couple of weeks; decision time for those interested.

Simon
(01-19-2019, 12:51 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The Bosch option is for the jobsite saws only.

For those who asked about the finger-saving option for other brands, it could have happened a decade ago if the license issue to use the patent had been resolved. Festool is showing the prototype of its own SS tablesaw. Its parent co. TTS now owns the SS patent. Not sure if TTS can do anything to prolong the expiry dates as there are a lot patents involved.

The finger injury looks horrible. Wishing the OP a quick and full recovery.

Simon

From what I read TTS doesn't just own the patent, but purchased SawStop.

-
See ya later,
Bill
Hair splitting or what? You own company A and company A owns asset B. Do you own B or not?

Simon
(01-18-2019, 04:41 PM)Dodis Wrote: I guess I am the unlucky one that gets to post the first tablesaw safety reminder...
Upset

12 Jan., working on a small project. Had the blade only 1/4" high in my sled, left it running while I checked a measurement. Then when I turned back to the saw, I reached across but too low and tried to rip my right ring finger in two... Don't remember what I was thinking or why I reached so low, I guess I lost that thought in the moment. Just glad now that the blade was so low!

Dr got it all stitched back together, pin comes out in 4-6 weeks.

And now that I will have spent any possible SawStop money on Dr bills, I plan to add a foot switch to my saw so it will shut off anytime I step away. Plus a way to bypass that for long rips, etc.

So sorry to hear of your accident. Best of luck for a speedy and complete recovery.

Many, many years ago I had a "brush" with a tablesaw blade. Fortunate to get away with only a few stitches in my thumb; no lasting damage. My recommendation is that you borrow the money to buy a Sawstop tablesaw if necessary. Might be the best "safety" investment you ever made. A foot switch will not prevent all potential catastrophic accidents - SS will.

Testimonials

Doug
SS PCS pilot
So sorry to hear about this and hope you get better soon and can get back into the shop - that first cut’s nerve wracking (learned that after a bandsaw accident a number of years ago) so take it slow.

A good friend’s wife called last night to let us know he had a tablesaw accident with cutting - somehow his hand slipped. He’s now 2 fingers lighter - not sure how he did it, but I’m sure I’ll find out today. I’ve been ordered to buy the SS today.

John
Thanks for the graphic reminder.  Glad you weren't hurt worse and that your recovery is progressing well.

Sometimes we get complacent and warnings like this can remind us of the danger and help keep us on our toes.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

"...ordered to buy..."

This reminds me of the old Sawstop ad that showed a "wife approved purchase" message. They no longer use that...some women woodworkers might wonder why the "hubby approved purchase" version was not made.

Simon
Not surprising that would be seen by some as an offensive marketing campaign. In my case, I’ve been getting the push for 2 years but have a nice Jet 3hp cabinet with 50” outfeed that I’m very comfortable with (and will apparently be selling). The push is over and the edict has been delivered - I can go pick what I want or wait to see what gets delivered.

John
(01-20-2019, 10:41 AM)jcredding Wrote: The push is over and the edict has been delivered - I can go pick what I want or wait to see what gets delivered.

John

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh  Time to head to the Saw Stop store. I did. No regrets. Too bad they don't have a jointer stop. 
Angry

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(01-20-2019, 11:15 AM)shoottmx Wrote:
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh  Time to head to the Saw Stop store. I did. No regrets. Too bad they don't have a jointer stop. 
Angry

g

Since acquiring Sawstop, TTS has put the technology in its Festool tablesaw. What is in store for the use of the technology in other machines is anyone's guess. The Aussies have put a similar safety application on the bandsaws which seem to have high sawing injury history after the tablesaws. Circular saws and miter saws also account for many site injuries. Miter saws are my friend's most worried machines because he is a shop teacher. His school has replaced all the tablesaws with Sawstop, with special offers from the vendor that allowed them to get three saws in one go. His only concern with the tablesaws is kickback...something he and his shop assistant talk about all the time with their students. Believe it or not, many people have no idea how dangerous kickbacks can equally be.

Simon