First tablesaw safety reminder of the new year...
(01-20-2019, 10:41 AM), jcredding Wrote: but have a nice Jet 3hp cabinet with 50” outfeed that I’m very comfortable with (and will apparently be selling).  The push is over and the edict has been delivered - I can go pick what I want or wait to see what gets delivered.

John

Assuming your Jet is as good as a PM 66 which I used for some time, you will see these improvements from a Sawstop cabinet saw: much better dust collection, a slider option (if you have the space), and improved mobility (ICS or upgraded base). Do replace its stock blade with its premium blade, or better yet, other premium brands. I save it just in case my ss gets triggered (none so far!).

Simon
(01-20-2019, 10:41 AM)jcredding Wrote: Not surprising that would be seen by some as an offensive marketing campaign.  In my case, I’ve been getting the push for 2 years but have a nice Jet 3hp cabinet with 50” outfeed that I’m very comfortable with (and will apparently be selling).  The push is over and the edict has been delivered - I can go pick what I want or wait to see what gets delivered.

John

So, where are you located?  
Winkgrin
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(01-19-2019, 12:51 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The Bosch option is for the jobsite saws only.

I have a Bosch jobsite saw and dolly that I am very happy with, but I would consider upgrading to a Bosch skin-sensor version if it was available.

Is the Bosch version available in the USA now?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

(01-18-2019, 10:51 PM)Mike L B Wrote: I was more than happy to pay for my SawStop and not have to think.............
about the lifelong physical and financial costs of a potential injury.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Smile

How hard is it to keep your head in the game, at least during the few moments the saw is turned on? You need a sawstop to be safe? You can't be trusted around normal machines? Come on you guys!!!
Wood is good. 
(01-20-2019, 04:52 PM)iclark Wrote: I have a Bosch jobsite saw and dolly that I am very happy with, but I would consider upgrading to a Bosch skin-sensor version if it was available.

Is the Bosch version available in the USA now?

Nope...you have to cross border to Canada for one now, or wait until the SS patents expire (some say in a few years, some say longer).

Simon
(01-20-2019, 05:09 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: Sorry, couldn't resist.
Smile  

How hard is it to keep your head in the game, at least during the few moments the saw is turned on? You need a sawstop to be safe? You can't be trusted around normal machines? Come on you guys!!!

You missed the point. I have driven for over half a decade, and never once the seat belt system has been activated. The seat belts and the Sawstop alike are insurance.

Trust is one thing, accidents are another. Did you know that one guy injured his fingers on the tablesaw because as he was cutting, the overhead light bulb short circuited with a pop, and the sound caused him to react in an unexpected manner. Sawstop owners and users don't leave their brains behind just because they are using a flesh-sensing technology. In fact, each activation can cost a lot depending on what sawblade is used (the replacement cartridge is free if it is caused by skin contact once the incident is reported and verified). Money is a motivation for people to avoid activating the Sawstop...meaning they have to be careful when using the saw even if it is a Sawstop.

Simon
Trapper - Thanks! And while I agree, a foot switch will not prevent many injuries, in my case it is about my only option for now. And not to diminish the truth, it would have prevented my injury as I had turned around to make a measurement leaving the saw running, and the cut happened when I turned back to the saw and reached across for some unknown reason. With the foot switch it would have been off.

My only other option available is to sell it all and stop having a shop. Even though she likes my work, my wife occasionally complains about all the money "tied up" in my tools, but 95% were bought/inherited before we married, so she married them as well as me. As well as my collection of guns, bench full of reloading equipment, and boxes of computer parts (though that is dwindling due to obsolescence). At least we both like to cook, so kitchen gadgets are OK...

jcredding - Please pass along my support to your friend. Let him know he is not alone in prayers for his recovery as well!

All, some of the posts I am seeing are leaning toward the mud puddle of SawStop developer bashing, please don't in this thread, it is about safety (and my lack of). There is a big SS thread with plenty of basing to add to... I too would love to see the tech available to retrofit to existing saws as there is a huge base that will not get replaced just because SS is the only game for the tech (for now). But if TTS will think like that rather than just $$$ (that's what they have Festool for), we may see it one year.

Mike "Dodis"
Thanks Mike - and same to you! Like all things, you will get through this and look forward to hearing when you make it back into the shop.

Best of luck,

John
(01-20-2019, 05:12 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Nope...you have to cross border to Canada for one now, or wait until the SS patents expire (some say in a few years, some say longer).

Simon

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good reason to visit Canada.

Hmm, seems like we used to have a member who resold a lot of saws. I'll have to keep an eye open in SnS in case he gets any Bosch saws in stock.

(01-20-2019, 04:48 PM)iclark Wrote: So, where are you located?  
Winkgrin

Okay, I see that you answered my question in SnS.
Smile

Nice looking saw.

Canada would be closer for me, though.  Best wishes on your sale.