I need a call button (light)
to explain, my wife has a disability and it's tough for her to get to my detached shop (100' or so from the house) to ask for help or deliver a message. I need something with wireless connectivity that will allow to activate a light in the shop. That will notify me to go see what's happening. Now, I'm sure everyone will suggest a cell phone. I have one, and have a hell of a time remembering to always have it with me...besides which it's not loud enough to over come the noise of any tools that may be running (hence the light). I'd be interested in any ideas of what to do. I thought of a wireless doorbell, but worry the sound isn't loud enough and not sure I could rig it to a light of some sort; or can I?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Back before cell phones I had a very loud ringer with a light which would flash to alert me of phone calls in my shop. Im sure theyre still available and easily hooked up for wireless signals. If I remember right I got it right from ATT
They have flash apps for notifications (text), and incoming calls for smartphones. You can set up the frequency of flash. Every 10 seconds ...five seconds ...two seconds . They make wireless doorbells as well, can't help but suppose one has a flash.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

How about this?

https://smile.amazon.com/NuTone-LA224WH-...fety+light

Audio and visual wireless doorbell + strobe light
(01-20-2019, 06:52 AM)fredhargis Wrote: to explain, my wife has a disability and it's tough for her to get to my detached shop (100' or so from the house) to ask for help or deliver a message. I need something with wireless connectivity that will allow to activate a light in the shop. That will notify me to go see what's happening. Now, I'm sure everyone will suggest a cell phone. I have one, and have a hell of a time remembering to always have it with me...besides which it's not loud enough to over come the noise of any tools that may be running (hence the light). I'd be interested in any ideas of what to do. I thought of a wireless doorbell, but worry the sound isn't loud enough and not sure I could rig it to a light of some sort; or can I?

I used to use a wireless intercom.  You could talk or buzz someone.  It just plugged into an outlet.  It was pretty loud.  I could hear it with the DC running and the saw.  In fact I just donated three unused units of them to a thrift store!  They communicate over the common in your electrical service.  If your shop is on the same main panel as the house they will work.  I think they should still be available.  
Search "wireless intercom".  The brand I had was NOVI i think.   If you want I could go check at the thrift store to see if they still have them.  Or you could just learn to keep your cell phone on your belt or in your pocket.  I always tell people, "on the eight day, God created pockets". 

RP
Walkie talkies. I use them in my plant, about $75.00 will get you a pair, small enough for a pocket yet more than strong enough for your needs.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(01-20-2019, 07:29 AM)Duane N Wrote: How about this?

https://smile.amazon.com/NuTone-LA224WH-...fety+light

Audio and visual wireless doorbell + strobe light

Duane, that's exactly what I was thinking...should do the trick. A couple of the other suggestions I have tried in the past (years ago) and they didn't work out so well. The intercom thing was a complete bust. I tried 2 units (one from Radio Shack, and I don't remember what the other was) and they were both miserable failures; I guess it's possible the later models would work better. But I considered the walkie talkie thing, but it doens't have a light and it's something I would have to have on hand, of course I could just leave it in the shop but it still wouldn't have a light. To give you an idea of the noise levels, my DC runs when the other stionary tools run...and by itself it's 94 dB (5' away). So I really want something visual.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Another possibility might be one of the modern smart bulbs. With the doorbell thing she would need to carry around the button, or go to where ever the doorbell is to contact you. If you used one of the smart bulbs then she could just turn it on from her cell phone. This could be an advantage of she always has her cell phone on her.

This is more expensive than the doorbell. And I'm not sure if you would have the wifi signal available from your house to that distance, but it also might have some additional flexibility. They make ones that the bulb can change color, which could give some flexibility. So you could come up with a system like white light means please come when you get a chance, red means emergency, etc. If that would be helpful would depend on your situation.

Of course mashing on the doorbell repeatedly could also signal an emergency
Smile

Mark

You're getting a lot of good ideas. If you can remember to keep your cell phone with you (or at least in the shop) you can use 3M WorkTunes earmuffs with Bluetooth to accomplish this.

They are excellent ear protectors (far better than the shooting muffs I used to use), they let you listen to music or the radio if you want (I just use it for FM), and they will give you notifications when you get a text. It's as easy as can be and I find them comfortable enough to wear all the time, whether I'm using a tool or not (with the radio on it's not distracting me with the sounds of blood pumping).

This actually serves a lot of different purposes at once.
(01-20-2019, 06:52 AM)fredhargis Wrote: to explain, my wife has a disability and it's tough for her to get to my detached shop (100' or so from the house) to ask for help or deliver a message. I need something with wireless connectivity that will allow to activate a light in the shop. That will notify me to go see what's happening. Now, I'm sure everyone will suggest a cell phone. I have one, and have a hell of a time remembering to always have it with me...besides which it's not loud enough to over come the noise of any tools that may be running (hence the light). I'd be interested in any ideas of what to do. I thought of a wireless doorbell, but worry the sound isn't loud enough and not sure I could rig it to a light of some sort; or can I?

They sell a lot of WiFi outlets you could plug a lamp into and SWMBO actuate.  I use it for the lights in the greenhouse at ~75 ft.  If your shop is tin - well, might need the computer modem.

Around 15-25 bucks at Wally world.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.