Help me buy a rotary tool
Which Rotary Tool do you recommend?

I have wanted a rotary tools for a while now but I tend to wait on buying a new tool until I'm certain that I want it.  My budget is very limited.

But I'm certain now.

Which tool do you recommend?

Grizzly #1 $46

Grizzly #2 $44

Harbor Freight $22

Northern Tool $50

I want the Flexible tool shaft so I think that that rules out the HF one.  Though I can get a shaft that should fit it no problem.

The Grizzly #1 has more amps that #2 which I like.

I haven't considered a Dremel as they are so expensive.  Are there any brands that I am missing?

What would you recommend?
Peter

My "day job"
The Northern cuz for a few $ more, you get the magnetic LED.

BTW the two Grizzlys, the $46 one as it has a tele tool holder, like the Northern.

Simon
(01-20-2019, 02:11 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The Northern cuz for a few $ more, you get the magnetic LED.

BTW the two Grizzlys, the $46 one as it has a tele tool holder, like the Northern.

Simon

I vote for used. I see at least a dozen Dremels a week at flea markets and yard sales from spring to fall. Most were purchased and used for one homeowner or hobbiest project, they are typically in VG+ condition with a bunch of accessories and sell for $.20 to $.50 on the dollar.
(01-20-2019, 01:56 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Which Rotary Tool do you recommend?

I have wanted a rotary tools for a while now but I tend to wait on buying a new tool until I'm certain that I want it.  My budget is very limited.

But I'm certain now.

Grizzly #1 $46

Grizzly #2 $44

Harbor Freight $22

Northern Tool $50

I want the Flexible tool shaft so I think that that rules out the HF one.  Though I can get a shaft that should fit it no problem.

I haven't considered a Dremel as they are so expensive.  Are there any brands that I am missing?

Yep  Black and Decker 2amps ...$31.00 @HD... All Dremel accessories fit it.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

You guys are cheating...the multiple-choice question does not have the answers you give!
Slap

If it is open-ended:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-Rotary-T.../203604481

Simon
(01-20-2019, 01:56 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Which Rotary Tool do you recommend?

But I'm certain now.

Grizzly #1 $46

Grizzly #2 $44

Harbor Freight $22

Northern Tool $50

I'm not a huge user of these tools.  I prefer the HF electric die grinder for almost everything.

But sometimes these little things are what you need and I've had a B&D from Walmart for some years.  Rarely would I call anything from B&D a skookum choocher but in this case it has been.

I always just a Dremel chuck in these tools.  These are amazing.  Remember this point.

Last year I bought the HF unit.  It uses a odd ball sized shaft which means I can't use my chuck.  Or likely anything else that attaches to the shaft directly.  Other then that its not a bad little machine.
Vaping Bad.........
(01-20-2019, 04:45 PM)jlanciani Wrote: I vote for used. I see at least a dozen Dremels a week at flea markets and yard sales from spring to fall. Most were purchased and used for one homeowner or hobbiest project, they are typically in VG+ condition with a bunch of accessories and sell for $.20 to $.50 on the dollar.

+1 unless you need it now. If not, flea markets, yard & garage sales and don't rule out pawn shops. I see them quite frequently in pawn shops as already noted barely used. They'll bargain too especially if they had it for a while. Inventory turns is how they make their money back.

I've purchased two Dremels in the past 3 years...both VS, with cases and included most all of the accessories; $10/ea. Both were used maybe once or twice. The most recent included the flex shaft NIP. I didn't really need either as my old Craftsman VS (Dremel made) still works great but for $10/ea I brought them home.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
I would go with a Dremel, even if it is a used one from garage sale or flea market, because I found their product support and customer service to be excellent.  I bought mine 30 years ago, in the late '80s.  It was their high-end VS model at the time.  Several years ago, it stopped working...the shaft wouldn't turn.  I was going to need it on my project, so I ran over to HD and bought a replacement (the cheapest model they had, since I already had all of the accessories).  Before I opened the box, I disassembled the front end of the old one, and found a little nylon part that had failed (can't remember if it was a gear, or what).  I called Dremel, and they identified the part and said they would sent me a new one, which they did.  I don't think there was a charge.   I returned the new one to HD and have  been using my old faithful ever since.
Bob
They are very handy tools to have. I can't speak for the options you listed. I have an older Craftsman (made by Dremel - 30 yrs of service) and a newer Dremel. I use them often. I would skip over the HF and get one of the other 3.
Sawdust, sawdust everywhere and amungst it somewhere is my pencil...
(01-20-2019, 06:13 PM)Sean® Wrote: Rarely would I call anything from B&D a skookum choocher but in this case it has been.

Is it a good thing or a bad thing to be one of these?