Rivet gun
I don't know if this is the right forum for this but i is a hand tool.  I have a plastic  case for a wrench set.  The latches came off and I got trunk latches (also used on some tool cases) that I have been trying to rivet on the case.  I drilled the holes a wee bit larger than the rivets I used a Klik Fast rivet gun and the rivets are not opening on the blind side.  Why not?  I have drilled out 8 that are not holding.

Thanks
GB
Put a rivet in the gun only, squeeze the lever and see what the actual rivet is doing.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-20-2019, 07:11 PM)Gurubandhu Wrote: I don't know if this is the right forum for this but i is a hand tool.  I have a plastic  case for a wrench set.  The latches came off and I got trunk latches (also used on some tool cases) that I have been trying to rivet on the case.  I drilled the holes a wee bit larger than the rivets I used a Klik Fast rivet gun and the rivets are not opening on the blind side.  Why not?  I have drilled out 8 that are not holding.

Thanks
GB

You need to put a metal washer, same ID as rivit OD on the inside (The side the rivet expands) so the rivit has something hard to work against. Plastic is too soft and rivit will not work as designed.
It is a hollow core.  If I cut through the plastic, it will affect the integrity of the case.  Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks
GB
(01-20-2019, 10:12 PM)Gurubandhu Wrote: It is a hollow core.  If I cut through the plastic, it will affect the integrity of the case.  Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks
GB
Do like stwood said and see if it is expanding, sometimes you have to keep pushing in while squeezing. If it still doesn't work or if you drilled too big of hole try a machine screw and nut and washer.  Maybe a little Locktite or glue when screwing on nut to keep from coming loose.  Roly
Make sure you are using the correct size rivet for your gun. It usually tales multiple squeezes to completely seat a pop rivet.
(01-21-2019, 03:34 PM)GNP Wrote: Make sure you are using the correct size rivet for your gun. It usually tales multiple squeezes to completely seat a pop rivet.
I have not done that much riveting.  As I said before I see no reason that the problem is with the hole since the rivet barely squeezes in the hole.  The head is the shortest I have at about 1/4" long and about 1/8" in diameter.  I also used some with a smaller diameter maybe 1/16" but the flange was smaller so I thought the larger one would be better.  The ones I put in just scrunched down but did not flare out on the blind side.  Thanks for answering.

GB
(01-21-2019, 04:39 PM)Gurubandhu Wrote: I have not done that much riveting.  As I said before I see no reason that the problem is with the hole since the rivet barely squeezes in the hole.  The head is the shortest I have at about 1/4" long and about 1/8" in diameter.  I also used some with a smaller diameter maybe 1/16" but the flange was smaller so I thought the larger one would be better.  The ones I put in just scrunched down but did not flare out on the blind side.  Thanks for answering.

GB

Maybe drill a hole on the bottom edge of container, and use needle nose pliers to get a washer up in there on the rivet? Got room on the case for that?
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-20-2019, 09:04 PM)castguy2003 Wrote: You need to put a metal washer, same ID as rivit OD on the inside (The side the rivet expands) so the rivit has something hard to work against. Plastic is too soft and rivit will not work as designed.

You need to do what castguy said
Yes .
(01-21-2019, 08:56 PM)Treebeard Wrote: You need to do what castguy said
Yes .

Yes....if he can access the inside of the plastic case. It's a formed, plastic case with no access to the inside of the hole he has drilled.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020