Hand Tool Bench Against a Wall Yes or No
Mine is up against a wall because my shop is 7 feet wide. So that is what I have to offer
Smile
Ag
Several advantages to having your bench against a wall.

1) attach to wall to eliminate racking from planing
2) serve as a planing stop
3) hang stuff on wall.
4) more floor space
5) access to electrical outlet for hide glue pot!

Disadvantages
1) 2 less corners to clamp stuff to
2) a little trickier planing wide stuff on. Can’t plane from far side
3) cross cutting at bench hook on RHS. Saw hits wall if bench isn’t deep. Mine is about 20”. Bunch of marks on wall. Toe teeth bent on panel saw.
Thank you everyone for your input! I will see how it shakes out when I remodel after this project. I did a rough set up in the Grizzly Shop Planner and have a basic idea of what I am after.

Thanks again!
John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(01-21-2019, 11:07 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Yes, a bench against the wall works well for countless people. Seldom does one need to reach a work from the other side of the bench as you can turn the work around.

However, the best solution is to make the bench mobile by adding fold-up bench castors. Amazon and Rockler sell them for about $70 for a set. I got mine from Amazon during sale. Then one can use the bench as an assembly table for larger projects.

Simon
I have to agree with Simon. Make the bench movable, that way you cane move it readily when needed.  If movable you have the best of both worlds. Sometimes only a couple of inches is all that is needed.

Tom