track saw
I am hoping to get a track saw.  I have narrowed it down to 3 choices.  The Makita, which has the best reviews with good power and most people are very pleased.  Occasionally someone will have a twisted track.  Price including an extra 55" track is about 520 ( a bit high).  The second is the Shop Fox (also under the Grizzly name).  Very mixed reviews, weak on power and occasional bad track but after modifications some people are pleased.  Price with 8 ' of track is about 360 ( includes blade upgrade and clamps).  Finally is the TrueTrac.  Everyone is pleased except for the pain of mounting it. Price with a 8' of track, and dedicated saw would be around 385.  I am a very occasional woodworker but like to get to the task and not piddle with my tools.  Plus I would not be pleased if I spent 360 on the shop fox and the motor burned up as happened with some of the reviewers.  The Festool is way out of my price range.  Any opinions would be appreciated.  Thanks
Raised
I have only had exp with the Festool 55 n 75. Based on your research, I would take the Makita because power (lack of power) is what some people are not happy with the 55 when cutting thick slabs.

I wouldn't want to save money and get a poorly designed (difficult to mount) tool.

I think the Makita tracks are compatible with Festool.

Simon
Festool should have the best reviews.
Wood is good. 
Agree with HandPlanesandMore.
I have the Dewalt saw with 30", 50" and 100" tracks.  I love it but its more then your looking to spend.

If buying today I would consider the 60v cordless.  I might decide against it but I'd be looking.

The Festool is prolly ok because its limited use and so expensive people baby them but it seems to have some issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oezp-_DcUgg
Vaping Bad.........
(01-21-2019, 10:49 AM)DutchieVB Wrote: I am hoping to get a track saw.  I have narrowed it down to 3 choices.  The Makita, which has the best reviews with good power and most people are very pleased.  Occasionally someone will have a twisted track.  Price including an extra 55" track is about 520 ( a bit high).  The second is the Shop Fox (also under the Grizzly name).  Very mixed reviews, weak on power and occasional bad track but after modifications some people are pleased.  Price with 8 ' of track is about 360 ( includes blade upgrade and clamps).  Finally is the TrueTrac.  Everyone is pleased except for the pain of mounting it. Price with a 8' of track, and dedicated saw would be around 385.  I am a very occasional woodworker but like to get to the task and not piddle with my tools.  Plus I would not be pleased if I spent 360 on the shop fox and the motor burned up as happened with some of the reviewers.  The Festool is way out of my price range.  Any opinions would be appreciated.  Thanks
Raised

I would love a Festool, but simply can't justify the expense. I have borrowed one, and it does a nice job. However, the last thing I want to do is end up paying for one, and not get to keep it
Smile

For 8' rips I use a factory edge of a piece of 1/2" ply and a pair of clamps (and double check with a string/chalk line...)  For 4' cuts, I have a clamping straight edge that does the trick quite nicely (for me).
(01-21-2019, 10:49 AM)DutchieVB Wrote: I am hoping to get a track saw.  I have narrowed it down to 3 choices.  The Makita, which has the best reviews with good power and most people are very pleased.  Occasionally someone will have a twisted track.  Price including an extra 55" track is about 520 ( a bit high).  The second is the Shop Fox (also under the Grizzly name).  Very mixed reviews, weak on power and occasional bad track but after modifications some people are pleased.  Price with 8 ' of track is about 360 ( includes blade upgrade and clamps).  Finally is the TrueTrac.  Everyone is pleased except for the pain of mounting it. Price with a 8' of track, and dedicated saw would be around 385.  I am a very occasional woodworker but like to get to the task and not piddle with my tools.  Plus I would not be pleased if I spent 360 on the shop fox and the motor burned up as happened with some of the reviewers.  The Festool is way out of my price range.  Any opinions would be appreciated.  Thanks

I have the TrueTrac, 8' version.  Very accurate, the saw mount is a pain and there is no dust collection in this country on most of our saws.  I have it mounted currently to my M18 Fuel 6.5", I just picked up a old Left hand PC corded, which I am going to dedicate to it, because of dust collection.  The advantage of the TrueTrac is the connecting bars are dovetailed so always aligns great every time for the tracks.  The new kid on the block is Kreg, may be a little more affordable. Accu-Cut™ XL for 100" Rip, at $159, 48" version $79.  I have the Rip/crosscut guide one, but do not like the tear out on my cuts. It does not have the zero clearance part, which the Accu-Cut does. I will sell that one, I think and by a short TrueTrac for Crosscutting. Dan
Raised

Ive been looking at them as well and thought about the Makita but owning other Festool tools and talking to others who own the Festool 55 or 75, I am heavily leaning towards festool.  Cant beat the quality or precision.  Yes they are expensive but in my opinion well worth it in the end.  Best of luck on your decision.
Raised

Makita will be my recommendation.  I have one any pleased with performance.  The track can be used for festool.
This can connect to Festool vacuum .
It has great dust collection feature, very close to festool in the features and performance.
Also it has good resale value, so in future if you decide to sale and move on to Festool, you will get most of the money by selling the saw.
Comes with Systainer which is comparable to Festool systainer.
 Shop Fox and Grizzly   stay away.
Picked up my Festool TS 55 kit, with 55" track and Systainer, on c/l for $350. Been using it for years without a single issue, and have never heard of anyone having an issue with one, other than complaining about the cost.
Smile Now have the 6' and 10' tracks. It's a great tool for truing the edge of raw lumber. No need whatsoever for clamping the track; just lay it on the pencil marks and cut. One of the best tools I've ever bought, and worth much more to me than its retail price.
Wood is good.