How can I straighten this?
(01-25-2019, 11:06 AM)plharrison Wrote: Ok I made a very nice door that fits perfectly, but just can't get a satisfactory match on the color. After some elbow grease and patience, a managed to take the old one apart. When I lay the pieces down on the bench, nothing seems warped! I'm thinking the crazy way it was made initially is the problem. Screwing in long screws probably pulled each part in the wrong direction. See photos:
Paul

I would take a square to the edges and make sure that everything is really square. If everything lies flat then that has to be the issue. When you find the piece(s) that aren't square you can use shims to get everything back in to alignment, then stain the shims. Since you're probably talking a fraction of an inch then the difference in stain colors won't be as noticeable, especially if the shims are on the inside of the door.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
I'd try working on squaring up the original rail joints to the stile joints. Yes you may have to alter the inside rabbit for the panel/glass, whatever is inside the frame.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

This old cabinet was something my mom gave us that I’ve never really paid any attention to, so how long it has been twisted, I don’t know. All I know is that as soon as my wife told me I had a project to do with it, I saw that the door would not shut properly! Like all of you, I assumed it was something to do with the wood itself. I can’t explain why all the pieces laid down pretty flat once it was taken apart!
Paul
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
(01-25-2019, 09:18 PM)plharrison Wrote: This old cabinet was something my mom gave us that I’ve never really paid any attention to, so how long it has been twisted, I don’t know.  All I know is that as soon as my wife told me I had a project to do with it, I saw that the door would not shut properly! Like all of you, I assumed it was something to do with the wood itself. I can’t explain why all the pieces laid down pretty flat once it was taken apart!
Paul

+1 for dowels or loose tenons.  The former seem the obvious choice given you already have some round holes.

Jim
“can’t explain why all the pieces laid down pretty flat once it was taken apart!”

One or more pieces/joints are not square. Not just the x and y directions(flat) but the z direction (the 3d dimension or up into space)
Ok so everyone who voted for dowels won. That's what I've opted for. The dowels are just in loose at the moment obviously. It was tricky getting it to end up flat. Kind of like jointing a twisted board, I had to just let them lay how they laid even if the ends twisted up a bit. In the end, the joints will not be even, but had to be done for the door to stay flat, plus the wife is satisfied with it! Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

[Image: IMG_5442.jpg]
Norm
Well FYI, it ended up doing ok! No on to redoing the rest of the pantry!

[Image: IMG_5450_1.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5451.jpg]
Norm
(01-29-2019, 03:14 PM)plharrison Wrote: Well FYI, it ended up doing ok! No on to redoing the rest of the pantry!

Cool
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020