How can I straighten this?
(01-22-2019, 06:22 PM)Admiral Wrote: We are assuming its a stress twist, when it can be a warp, caused by moisture.  Two different things.

I was assuming moisture. Either way, steaming and flattening should work, followed by properly resealing it.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(01-22-2019, 03:18 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Not saying that might not work...but sounds like more work than making a new one. If we look at the photo, the twist is on opposite corners (as twist is always to be), and there are two, not one, spots that need to be worked on.

Simon

I just don't like something like this to beat me.....
Crazy
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I hear ya.

Simon
FYI, I haven't made a really concerted effort to take it apart, but it was put together with flat head screws. The slots aren't very deep on the heads, and a couple of them are like welded in there! I already made another door that fits nice, but I'm waiting on a test piece I stained to see how it matches. Figuring out what kind of wood it was wasn't real clear either. I had opinions from poplar to alder to maple. I settled on maple because the guy at the lumber place had a piece of maple stained very close to the color. We'll see.
Paul
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
I have wet and racked in opposite direction with good results, however it was bare wood
Ok I made a very nice door that fits perfectly, but just can't get a satisfactory match on the color. After some elbow grease and patience, a managed to take the old one apart. When I lay the pieces down on the bench, nothing seems warped! I'm thinking the crazy way it was made initially is the problem. Screwing in long screws probably pulled each part in the wrong direction. See photos:

[Image: IMG_5438_1.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5437_1.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5440.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5439_1.jpg]
So the next decision is how to join these properly. Not really crazy about Kreg screws. Maybe just brads. Not really ever gonna be any stress on it. Half lap?
Paul
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
Loose tenons?  Dowels?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Mating surfaces still all square? Clamp it first without glue or fasteners to make sure it wants to stay flat.
(01-25-2019, 11:06 AM)plharrison Wrote: Ok I made a very nice door that fits perfectly, but just can't get a satisfactory match on the color. After some elbow grease and patience, a managed to take the old one apart. When I lay the pieces down on the bench, nothing seems warped! I'm thinking the crazy way it was made initially is the problem. Screwing in long screws probably pulled each part in the wrong direction. See photos:

[Image: IMG_5438_1.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5437_1.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5440.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5439_1.jpg]
So the next decision is how to join these properly. Not really crazy about Kreg screws. Maybe just brads. Not really ever gonna be any stress on it. Half lap?
Paul
I might be tempted to cut some 1/8" aluminum flat stock and inlet it flush across each corner overlapping the joint...Glue them in using epoxy and secure it with flat head screws. That oughta keep the bugger from warping!!!!!!!
Upset
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-25-2019, 11:06 AM)plharrison Wrote: When I lay the pieces down on the bench, nothing seems warped! I'm thinking the crazy way it was made initially is the problem. Screwing in long screws probably pulled each part in the wrong direction.

If it was an assembly problem, why had the "twist" not shown up all these years? The warped door should have been noticed as soon as it was hung up. Did you have the piece only recently?
Simon