Powermatic 66 Starts then turns off and smells
So I am in the middle of a project for a client of course and I was changing out my dado blade to my forrest blade and I plugged my Powermatic 66 saw back in and turned it on only to have it turn right off and trip the breaker.  Tried it again same issue.  So took apart switch and plug and all looks good.  Also since I have another 220 circuit I ran my power for the table saw to that breaker to see if it was a bad breaker.  The breaker worked but the Powermatic 66 turned on but did not sound right and started to smell bad like burnt rubber.  Of course i turned it off and felt the motor and its warm.  took off the capacitor I believe and they are very warm and smelled like burnt rubber.  There was no dust in them.  Can this go bad or what could cause this to occur?  Ive owned my powermatic for about 15 years.   Could it be bad brushes in the motor?  if so how do I access those?  its a baldor motor 3HP 15amp.   Thanks in advance for your help!
(01-21-2019, 08:24 PM)Johnny Currado Wrote: So I am in the middle of a project for a client of course and I was changing out my dado blade to my forrest blade and I plugged my Powermatic 66 saw back in and turned it on only to have it turn right off and trip the breaker.  Tried it again same issue.  So took apart switch and plug and all looks good.  Also since I have another 220 circuit I ran my power for the table saw to that breaker to see if it was a bad breaker.  The breaker worked but the Powermatic 66 turned on but did not sound right and started to smell bad like burnt rubber.  Of course i turned it off and felt the motor and its warm.  took off the capacitor I believe and they are very warm and smelled like burnt rubber.  There was no dust in them.  Can this go bad or what could cause this to occur?  Ive owned my powermatic for about 15 years.   Could it be bad brushes in the motor?  if so how do I access those?  its a baldor motor 3HP 15amp.   Thanks in advance for your help!

There would be no brushes in that motor. Did it start slow, vibrate, etc? Is it three phase? Does it use a motor starter or just an on/off switch? 
Most likely bad capacitors, if not could be a winding. Then you are looking at a motor rebuild or replacement.
(01-21-2019, 08:29 PM)castguy2003 Wrote: There would be no brushes in that motor. Did it start slow, vibrate, etc? Is it three phase? Does it use a motor starter or just an on/off switch? 
Most likely bad capacitors, if not could be a winding. Then you are looking at a motor rebuild or replacement.

thanks for your reply.  it started right up and within two seconds stopped working and shut down.  its the normal on off switch with the red and green buttons that you push in.  when I looked at the capacitors they smelled and were very warm.  not sure how i can get them out of there with the metal that holds them in.  unfortunately the pic I took is too large in size to post here.
Sad
I'm no expert, but that sounds like a run cap or centrifugal switch
(01-21-2019, 08:36 PM)Johnny Currado Wrote: thanks for your reply.  it started right up and within two seconds stopped working and shut down.  its the normal on off switch with the red and green buttons that you push in.  when I looked at the capacitors they smelled and were very warm.  not sure how i can get them out of there with the metal that holds them in.  unfortunately the pic I took is too large in size to post here.
Sad

Could very well be the capacitors considering their age.  Are they bulged out anywhere if so they are bad.  The centrifugal switch could also be sticking causing the problem.  Try blowing out the motor.   If the centrifugal switch is sticking it may cause the start capacitor to fail but the run should be ok unless it is bulged. Roly
(01-21-2019, 08:47 PM)Roly Wrote:  Could very well be the capacitors considering their age.  Are they bulged out anywhere if so they are bad.  The centrifugal switch could also be sticking causing the problem.  Try blowing out the motor.         If the centrifugal switch is sticking it may cause the start capacitor to fail but the run should be ok unless it is bulged.  Roly

thanks for this.  i will try blowing out the motor and will check the capacitors.  im thinking too the age of these could be bad and time to replace.  The centrifugal switch works fine to my seeing. there is no issues when I take the cover off and hit the buttons.  i will try blowing out the motor too.  where is the best place to access or blow air in this motor? there is no bulging in either capacitors just checked but they still stink like burnt oil or rubber.
(01-21-2019, 08:45 PM)EricU Wrote: I'm no expert, but that sounds like a run cap or centrifugal switch

im thinking capacitor is issue.  thanks bud
thanks everyone for your help on this issue.  talked to powermatic directly and my capacitors have burned up ergo the smell of burnt oil or rubber as one of the capacitors has oil in it.  it happens not too common but happens.  found a few places online that carry them so off to ordering new ones.
I was going to mention that caps smell really bad.  I blew one up once, had to leave for a while
(01-22-2019, 04:13 PM)EricU Wrote: I was going to mention that caps smell really bad.  I blew one up once, had to leave for a while

Yes. I had one to let loose on my 4hp collector. Smelled badly of dead rats.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020