Powermatic 66 Starts then turns off and smells
(01-22-2019, 12:20 PM)Johnny Currado Wrote: thanks everyone for your help on this issue.  talked to powermatic directly and my capacitors have burned up ergo the smell of burnt oil or rubber as one of the capacitors has oil in it.  it happens not too common but happens.  found a few places online that carry them so off to ordering new ones.

When the capacitors are replaced, be sure that the slip on connectors are tight and making good contact.  A sloppy or slightly loose connection on a cap can starve it of the current it needs.  I've run into problems associated directly with this type of connector.  The old way of doing the connection was to solder the wires to the cap, thus eliminating any possibility of a loose connection problem.
Not to hijack, but I have a single phase RAS that needs caps. Is there a potential shocking hazard when replacing old with new starting and running caps? What precautions should one take while replacing them?
They can hold a charge for a short while, I usually wait short time before removing them. I think it's a little overkill, but typically I'll wait for an hour if they blow during use.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If the caps are bad, it’s unlikely they’re holding a charge, but you can short the leads just to be sure. Use a high value resistor if unsure, or put on safety glasses and short them with an old screwdriver.
Big eek
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Thanks for the info, I'll proceed with my project.