Garage door squeaks...
What do you guys recommend using to lubricate the rollers on garage doors?

Mine started squeaking a bit more annoyingly over the last month or so, and I'd like to find a reasonably long-term solution. I work night shifts on occasion, and the squeaky doors are bad enough to be heard in the house when I get home at 6am...
Crazy

Thanks!
Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(01-22-2019, 01:27 AM)Big Dave Wrote: What do you guys recommend using to lubricate the rollers on garage doors?

Mine started squeaking a bit more annoyingly over the last month or so, and I'd like to find a reasonably long-term solution. I work night shifts on occasion, and the squeaky doors are bad enough to be heard in the house when I get home at 6am...
Crazy

Thanks!
Dave

I use this and can't tell you any more than when I was looking it was the one I chose.  Seems to work well

[Image: 032167900251.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Thanks, Bob!
Big Grin
Big Grin
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(01-22-2019, 03:19 PM)Big Dave Wrote: Thanks, Bob!
Big Grin
Big Grin

I just did mine yesterday because the noise was unbearable.  Have to remember to do when it's warm enough for me to feel my fingers.

After reading lots of opinions, I ended up using white lithium grease instead of the silicone stuff.  I like that it's not as runny and really like the WD-40 brand because the straw is permanently attached.

But, for me it's usually not the rollers making the noise.  The serious noise is usually from the big coil above the garage opening or the things with cable wrapped around them at either end (I think they're called bearing plates).  For the rollers, I also found it helps to clean out the old gunk before adding more grease.

Steve
The rollers are replaceable and are not that expensive.  I would probably either get earplugs or new rollers.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Spray lithium grease on the rollers.

Spring lube on the torsion springs, that might be what the pb stuff is for.

Ed
(01-22-2019, 08:53 PM)EdL Wrote: Spray lithium grease on the rollers.

Spring lube on the torsion springs, that might be what the pb stuff is for.

Ed

+1 for the spring, don't forget it.  It can bind and break otherwise.
Thanks, everyone!

I was in Lowe's the other day and picked up a can of the Blaster. It's taken 3-4 applications to the worst of the rollers, but it's moving much quieter now...
Yes

Thanks again!
Dave