Narex Chisels
Few years ago I use to see lot of Nyrex Chisels for sale at various outlets.

Now I am in market for new set of Chisels  and I cannot find them in common outlets,
Rockler and woodcraft do not carry them.
Highland, Lee Valley have them as well as on ebay.

Is the quality dropped or there are more choices?
(01-22-2019, 04:23 PM)Jack01 Wrote: Few years ago I use to see lot of Nyrex Chisels for sale at various outlets.

Now I am in market for new set of Chisels  and I cannot find them in common outlets,

More choices, I think.

From what I understand their quality is still as good as it has ever been.
Peter

My "day job"
(01-22-2019, 04:23 PM)Jack01 Wrote: Few years ago I use to see lot of Nyrex Chisels for sale at various outlets.

What is your budget and expected projects with said new chisels?  Honestly, there are better choices out there than the Narax if you have the need for thin lands (i.e. sides) or balance, fit, finish, etc.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin

Woodcraft has their own in house brand of Chinese tools. So they probably dropped Narex because they would compete with tools that probably offer woodcraft much more profit.

Rockler carries 2 cherries and has for a long time (as far as I can remember).

Lee Valley has a pretty huge selection of chisels. Many are similarly priced.  If you can't find chisels you like there, you'd be hard pressed to find them anywhere.

Tools for Working Wood also carries a nice selection, including a good looking Narex set.

I really like Joel and would recommend shopping at TFWW. Joel is smart to point out in bold letters that his Narex chisels are in inch sizes.  I think they used to be METRIC
Sad

I don't like metric chisels. Sizes are all wrong for my work and stock. If I were buying, I'd look long and hard at the new Stanley 750s.

just my 2 cents
LV has the "classic" bevel edge, with smaller lands, which I don't think anyone else has.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-22-2019, 05:50 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: I don't like metric chisels. Sizes are all wrong for my work and stock. If I were buying, I'd look long and hard at the new Stanley 750s.
just my 2 cents

Woodcraft is offering socket chisels with the bevel edge in the $35 - $40 price range. I have a couple and I enjoy using them. Comfortable and balanced in my hand. Jury is still out on edge life but I am not qualified to pass that judgement given that I don't use them daily and not in a wide variety of lumber.
But, they are worth a good look if you are in the market, I think.
Ag
(01-22-2019, 05:50 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: I don't like metric chisels. 

LV's version are imperial.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Narex chisels are good chisels for their price. If you plan to use them for chopping, grind them to 30* or higher. I know a buddy who keeps two sets, one at 25* for paring. The made in Japan Lee Valley chisels are also good, but I never like their plastic handles.

Simon
LN chisels are perfect for me.  They are the perfect price point, feel, and quality.  I love them.

Not one second have I regretting chunking the narex for them.  I'd rather have 2 LN chisels than a set of 6 narex.

Just a thought.

And for me... 1/4" and 1/2" would do 90% of my work probably...
(01-22-2019, 08:06 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: LN chisels are perfect for me.  They are the perfect price point, feel, and quality.  I love them.

Not one second have I regretting chunking the narex for them.  I'd rather have 2 LN chisels than a set of 6 narex.

Just a thought.

And for me... 1/4" and 1/2" would do 90% of my work probably...

I agree that 2 chisels that are "perfect" are far better than a full set.
Peter

My "day job"