Spraying Shellac
I’ve got some small pieces of exotic wood that I want to finish with shellac. I’m building a few infill planes.

I am strongly considering trying my hand at spraying shellac to get a smooth and (hopefully) low stress finish.

So for this the average automotive or woodworking sprayer is too big.

My question is, has anyone ever used an airbrush style sprayer to apply shellac on small projects?

HF has an inexpensive one. And I have a $25 eBay gift card that would purchase one with some very good reviews.

Any thoughts?
Peter

My "day job"
(01-22-2019, 07:00 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: I’ve got some small pieces of exotic wood that I want to finish with shellac. I’m building a few infill planes.

I am strongly considering trying my hand at spraying shellac to get a smooth and (hopefully) low stress finish.

So for this the average automotive or woodworking sprayer is too big.

My question is, has anyone ever used an airbrush style sprayer to apply shellac on small projects?

HF has an inexpensive one. And I have a $25 eBay gift card that would purchase one with some very good reviews.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like an awesome spot for the rattle cans of zinser shellac sold at the borgs 
Yes

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(01-22-2019, 07:37 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Sounds like an awesome spot for the rattle cans of zinser shellac sold at the borgs 
Yes

Agreed, or use a wiping varnish which will be far more durable.  

John
(01-22-2019, 07:37 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Sounds like an awesome spot for the rattle cans of zinser shellac sold at the borgs 
Yes

(01-22-2019, 09:23 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Agreed, or use a wiping varnish which will be far more durable.  

John

The non-rattle cans of Zinsser work very well but have a circular spray pattern so you have to do a lot of "boxing", i.e. cross-hatch, spraying to get it even.  And spring for the extra few bucks and get one of those trigger handle adapter thingies for the spray can.  Works great. 

One of the brands of rattle can lacquer has a tip that does a fan spray, that works even better.

And there are little touch-up gizmos that take CO2 cartridges I think. Lets you spray from the small Ball jars.  Never used one but curious to know how they work.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Yes

Well, I'm glad to have posted.

I didn't know that they made this.

Thanks
Peter

My "day job"
I spray shellac from time to time.  The rattle cans are OK, but I've never been real happy with the spray pattern and atomization from them.

I use a couple different spray guns.  Both are gravity fed, HVLP, cheapies from Grizzly and/or the BORG.  I have 2 different sizes.  One is a full size and the other is a small, detail gun, similar to this one in the Grizzly catalog.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...-Tip/H8224

I like it better than a spray can for small projects, just better able to control the flow and pattern.  However, I still use the spray can, from time to time, when it's convenient.  I'm a complete hack when it comes to spray guns, but shellac is easy to work with.  Practically person proof, if I'm any indication. 
Big Grin
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(01-23-2019, 08:19 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I spray shellac from time to time.  The rattle cans are OK, but I've never been real happy with the spray pattern and atomization from them.

I use a couple different spray guns.  Both are gravity fed, HVLP, cheapies from Grizzly and/or the BORG.  I have 2 different sizes.  One is a full size and the other is a small, detail gun, similar to this one in the Grizzly catalog.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...-Tip/H8224

I like it better than a spray can for small projects, just better able to control the flow and pattern.  However, I still use the spray can, from time to time, when it's convenient.  I'm a complete hack when it comes to spray guns, but shellac is easy to work with.  Practically person proof, if I'm any indication. 
Big Grin

Thanks, Bill
Peter

My "day job"
i also spray shellac - for big projects i use an hvlp sprayer attached to the compressor. but for small pieces i do use a rattle can - but i hold the can at a 45 degree angle while spraying - not perpendicular to the piece - and spray from all sides overlapping. i also use a plastic snap on handle for the cans - seems to feel like i have more control with it. in each case i follow up with some shellac padded on to smooth it all out.
jerry
Interesting topic. Anyone use one of these to spay shellac ?  https://www.harborfreight.com/20-fl-oz-h...62300.html

They come on sale for $9.99 once in a while.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(02-10-2019, 07:26 PM)museumguy Wrote: Interesting topic. Anyone use one of these to spay shellac ?  https://www.harborfreight.com/20-fl-oz-h...62300.html

They come on sale for $9.99 once in a while.

I have one, and use it for spraying water based contact glue.
It sprays nice, all the adjustments work well. Fan and material flow.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020