Am I Wrong?
Curt

I have the bigger one than this one with the 5hp but the same frame and it is a grunt of a saw that the VA bought me.  However, the cut length is only 12" where mine is 17" and that is why the 5hp motor

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...2-HP/G0513

I think you will really like this one.  I also really like the blade guides on this one to which I believe are better then mine. Which is below

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...saw/G0636X
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I've got the Grizzly G0514X2 3hp, and couldn't be happier; the extra hp makes resawing a breeze.  Choices, choices.......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The Rikon saws have a lot of nice features...I think it's not a bad choice. The 10-353 model would be even nicer, but it does come at a price. As for blades, the Lenox Diemaster 2 is a good choice and a nice balance between cost and service life. They are bi-metal and can be used to cut non-ferrous metals withut a problem if needed. On the saw I think you want, I'd go with 1/2" wide 3 TPI for resawing, and maybe a 3/8" 4TPI for more general cutting...unless you want to cut tighter curves, then maybe a 1/4" blade.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
For re-sawing, the fewer the teeth the better. The 1" carbide Lenox Woodmaster CT I use is 1.3 tpi. For general sawing I use a 3/8" bimetal 3 tpi.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I would love to get an 18" or larger bandsaw but don't want to spend that kind of money. 90+ percent of what I expect to do with the saw is ripping. I expect resaw activities will be either splitting a board to get book matched pieces for door panels or simply to get thinner solid wood for panels. I last used a bandsaw in high school shop class. My last memory of that experience is not good. Broke a blade because one of the class hoodlums thought it would be funny to "accidentally" hit the board as he walked by, but I was the one who caught all the fallout.

To restate, my use case involves very little resaw activity but I want the capability. I do not have and will not be getting a drum sander, so what I think of as veneer isn't going to happen. I do not see any work less than 1/4" in my sawing future. I do understand that a ½" blade is about all the 14" Rikons can tension and that 3/8" is more like it. Still, I'm willing to trade time at the saw for purchase price. That said, the saw must be capable of the resaws and rips that I am anticipating.

Does the above change anyone's opinion?

TIA
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
You can resaw with nearly any bandsaw; it all depends upon how well the saw is set up, the blade, and how patient you are.  I ripped and resawed a LOT of lumber on my 14" Delta with riser, even cut quite a lot of veneer with it, before my patience wore thin and I finally could justify buying a much larger saw.  I still use the Delta, actually more frequently than the larger saw, but not for resawing or slicing veneer.  

Someone earlier mentioned Grizzly, and I think you should take another look at them.  You can get a 2 HP 17" Grizzly G0513 for $997 which is not much more than the basic 14" Rikon, and less than the Deluxe which is still a 14" saw with a smaller motor.  The 17" Grizzly will allow you to run a 1" carbide (or regular) blade on it, and that will make resawing much easier and smooth enough if you choose the right blade that you could slice veneer w/o needing a drum sander.  It will give you a lot more capability than a 14" saw unless you pony up for the Rikon Pro, or Laguna equivalent.  Even then, you will be limited in your choice of carbide blades because of the small wheel diameter; pretty much confined to Laguna's Resaw King. 

My 2 cents.

John
I went thought this same question a year ago. It took me several months to make decision. I think the rikon open stand on sale can be the best value for a steel frame saw but if you consider the closed base saws the additional cost makes the griz 513 a better value. I finally ordered the 513 x2. And really like it. I felt the open stand rikon had too many compromises
Good luck
Gary
(01-26-2019, 12:44 PM)garmar60 Wrote:   I finally ordered the 513 x2. And really like it.  

It's worth the extra $ for the cast iron trunnion.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-25-2019, 10:00 PM)cputnam Wrote: I would love to get an 18" or larger bandsaw but don't want to spend that kind of money.  90+ percent of what I expect to do with the saw is ripping. I expect resaw activities will be either splitting a board to get book matched pieces for door panels or simply to get thinner solid wood for panels.  I last used a bandsaw in high school shop class.  My last memory of that experience is not good.  Broke a blade because one of the class hoodlums thought it would be funny to "accidentally" hit the board as he walked by, but I was the one who caught all the fallout.

To restate, my use case involves very little resaw activity but I want the capability.  I do not have and will not be getting a drum sander, so what I think of as veneer isn't going to happen.  I do not see any work less than 1/4" in my sawing future.  I do understand that a ½" blade is about all the 14" Rikons can tension and that 3/8" is more like it.  Still, I'm willing to trade time at the saw for purchase price.  That said, the saw must be capable of the resaws and rips that I am anticipating.

Does the above change anyone's opinion?

TIA

Curt, essentially just stay away from carbide blades if you plan on a 14" machine. Bimetal blades will work and will last a lot longer than the rest. Ideally I would aim for a 3/4" blade (with around 2 tpi) for resawing, but this may be too wide to tension on the Rikon. Check on this. Otherwise, a 3/8" or 1/2" blade (with 3 tpi) for general work. Do not go above 3tpi.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek, Rich, Gary, John, and the rest of you. 1st of all, thank you - it's why I asked the question.

Have studied the Grizzly 513X2 more. For essentially the same money, the machine has cast iron wheels, trunnion and table. Also bearing guides and a quick tension release. 2 hp 240vac motor. Just need to make sure I can handle delivery.

What size blade can this saw effectively tension? Is there any harm in running a resaw blade for general ripping?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard