Transaction / help buying something / Trust
Folks,

I've a question for all. I've a lead on a new tool, located in Phx, that is being sold by a fellow who shut his shop down some time ago. The issue is that he's not an 'internet' guy and the location is a 1000 miles away.

He doesn't want to wait 3 weeks for paypal, and as we don't know each other, how can the transaction be protected so that he isn't concerned about my paying him, and I him about shipping the unit?

Unless there is an inexpensive service I don't know of, I offered to inquire whether any here would be willing to speak to him briefly via the phone insofar as knowing me to be a guy of my word. It'll take a bit of a leap of faith regardless, but I'm just looking to ease his mind, but also not extend myself unnecesarily.

Any tips if I've missed a service to support such a thing? (or if you're wiling to chat with him, you can PM me also)

Thanks in advance.

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(01-24-2019, 01:05 PM)MichaelS Wrote:  It'll take a bit of a leap of faith regardless, but I'm just looking to ease his mind, but also not extend myself unnecesarily.

If I were you I'd talk to him on the phone, just try to feel out what kind of guy he is. If you feel like he is a decent guy offer to send him the funds. Yeah, it puts a bit of risk on your part. I wouldn't do it if you didn't feel comfortable.

The other option depending on what the tool is... get a woodnetter to pick up the item and hold it for you.

A few years back 2Beast bought some body panels for a Ranchero he was restoring. Stoppy picked up the parts and dropped them off to me. I stored them for about a year before 2Beast and I were able to meet up. 

It takes some faith in people and a small amount of risk.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(01-24-2019, 01:05 PM)MichaelS Wrote: Folks,

I've a question for all. I've a lead on a new tool, located in Phx, that is being sold by a fellow who shut his shop down some time ago. The issue is that he's not an 'internet' guy and the location is a 1000 miles away.

He doesn't want to wait 3 weeks for paypal, and as we don't know each other, how can the transaction be protected so that he isn't concerned about my paying him, and I him about shipping the unit?

Unless there is an inexpensive service I don't know of, I offered to inquire whether any here would be willing to speak to him briefly via the phone insofar as knowing me to be a guy of my word. It'll take a bit of a leap of faith regardless, but I'm just looking to ease his mind, but also not extend myself unnecesarily.

Any tips if I've missed a service to support such a thing? (or if you're wiling to chat with him, you can PM me also)

Thanks in advance.

Michael
This is old school (for us old timers), it's call C.O.D. - Collect On Delivery, it costs a little more but here is how it works:

He ships the package (UPS does it, not sure about PO or FedEx), specifying the cost to be collected.
UPS delivers the package to you and you pay UPS.
UPS sends the payment to the shipper.

You have to be present to accept the package and to pay. Here are the caveats:

• UPS will accept a business or personal check, or another negotiable form of payment.
  • At the shipper's request, UPS will accept a cashier's check or money order only. <- this is his protection against bounced checks
  • UPS will not accept currency in any amount.
  • The shipper assumes all risk related to the collection of the payment, including non-payment, insufficient funds, and forgery.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(01-24-2019, 01:05 PM)MichaelS Wrote: ...He doesn't want to wait 3 weeks for paypal...

PayPal is instant; it certainly does not take 3 weeks (where'd that come from?). He gets his $ and you are protected by PayPal.
Wood is good. 
Find a woodnetter that lives in the area and is willing to help.  I've done that and it worked out real well.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(01-24-2019, 01:05 PM)MichaelS Wrote: He doesn't want to wait 3 weeks for paypal, and as we don't know each other, how can the transaction be protected so that he isn't concerned about my paying him, and I him about shipping the unit?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

(01-25-2019, 12:29 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: PayPal is instant; it certainly does not take 3 weeks (where'd that come from?). He gets his $ and you are protected by PayPal.

Paypal may still be the way to go.
The key is trust, but protection.  
He had a shop, closed for awhile.  Implies he has been there awhile.
There are probably many people in the Phoenix area the seller trusts.

Have him find one with a paypal account and let his trusted friend be the intermediary.

Pay with paypal, and have paypal cover it via your credit card.
You will have 30 days before you have to pay the credit card and you will have two backups, paypal and the cc.

P.S. As with any private transaction, make sure to document everything. Have emails, pictures, attatchments, copies of text messages, original advertisements, specific description memo on paypal payment.... from all involved.
(01-25-2019, 11:09 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Find a woodnetter that lives in the area and is willing to help...

This takes a lot of nerve, to ask another to donate his time, just so you can take advantage of a bargain.
Wood is good. 
(01-24-2019, 03:33 PM)Scouter Wrote: This is old school (for us old timers), it's call C.O.D. - Collect On Delivery, it costs a little more but here is how it works:
Sounds like the C.O.D. is the best way because you can see the goods before you settle your payment, if the Payal route can't be taken. Paypal payment is instant, and if properly documented for the sale, its protection should be fool-proof.

Talking to the guy over the phone should provide extra info. about him, or eliminate any unnecessary misunderstanding.

But trust your gut. Walk away from any deal if it sounds too good, or if you feel unsure about the guy or the deal. Because of that, I never get burned. 

Simon
The COD option is one I had completely forgotten about in today's modern age, that's brilliant! Some good idea's on this thread for sure. I appreciate it!

I'll chat with the fellow again and decide, but I don't get the impression he isn't trustworthy, merely an unknown quantity.

Best,
Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(01-25-2019, 12:45 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: This takes a lot of nerve, to ask another to donate his time, just so you can take advantage of a bargain.

Really?
As Cletus mentioned above, he and Stoppy helped me out getting car parts.
Heck, I drove 50 miles to pick up a part for a guy and then met him in the middle of the night near Atlanta while I was traveling to Florida.
Thought nothing of it.

Just helping out a guy (whom I had never met) 
Yes
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery