Transaction / help buying something / Trust
(01-25-2019, 12:45 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: This takes a lot of nerve, to ask another to donate his time, just so you can take advantage of a bargain.

I'd help a woodnetter out if I could (within reason). Heck, I'm not even very active on here but I'd certainly be willing to drive somewhere within a 30 mile radius to go check out a tool for someone. Or, something like that. I'm glad to see there are still a lot of people out there who are still willing to help out a complete stranger. You should try it sometime.
(01-25-2019, 12:45 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: This takes a lot of nerve, to ask another to donate his time, just so you can take advantage of a bargain.

You are new here. Woodnetters have volunteered time and money for years to help other Woodnetters.

There is no 'nerve' or selfishness involved with this request. Just normal folks helping folks. Because we want to.
(01-25-2019, 12:29 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: PayPal is instant; it certainly does not take 3 weeks (where'd that come from?). He gets his $ and you are protected by PayPal.

about 6 months ago i used paypal for a $5000 transaction. took 5 days to be available for me to deposit into my bank.

not sure youre aware how helpful the members of this forum have been for fellow woodnetters. 
helping people is a quality and a pleasure. 
gotta go now. putting brakes on a car for someone that i met one time. why? because its a pleasure to be able to help others.
(01-25-2019, 06:38 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: ...Woodnetters have volunteered time and money for years to help other Woodnetters...

It is clear that you have misunderstood my post. Volunteering time and money to help others is noble. Asking strangers for help you don't need is not.
Wood is good. 
(01-25-2019, 02:39 PM)MichaelS Wrote: that's brilliant! 

[Image: blind_squirrel.jpg]
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(01-25-2019, 10:54 PM)ez-duzit Wrote:  Volunteering time and money to help others is noble. Asking strangers for help you don't need is not.

as i stated in my post above, i did the brakes last night  for someone i only met once. they didnt need me to do it; he could have taken it to a shop today but was lookin to get em done last night. but he asked if i could and i said yes.
had a great time,too. got to shoot the breeze with a helluva good man and he learned a bit about the brake system in his car.
we're no longer strangers.

you should try it some time. get out of yourself and help someone who asks for help even if they dont need it.

We are a community of friends here and helping each other is what some of us love to do.  Sometimes it's just an idea that solves a problem, other times it could be a run across town for a friend you've only known on WN.  Many of us love to "pay it forward"
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
So, the item is in transit and I'll send the check by mail tomorrow, providing both him with the peace of mind that it's enroute, and me the insurance that I could put a stop check on it if the box (that I have the tracking # on) is a large rock, lol. (48.3 lbs)

For those who have been around a while, woodnetters *really* stepped in and helped way over and above what I would ever ask of another a number of years back for my family and I (I saved that thread as a PDF and read it from time to time when I need perspective on good people vs. the @#!hats you run into too often these days). Whenever I am able, I contribute in order to both "pay it back" but also simply because this community is a rare gem amongst many I've participated over the years. A group of incredible folks on here, and it's largely why it remains my preferred woodworking forum of choice!

If I am ever able to help, I'd hope folks know they can ping me. I'll be honest if I'm able to or not, but I'm always open to being asked
Smile

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(01-26-2019, 05:12 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: We are a community of friends here and helping each other is what some of us love to do.  Sometimes it's just an idea that solves a problem, other times it could be a run across town for a friend you've only known on WN.  Many of us love to "pay it forward"
Cool

Amen.