Diamond Stone Lubricant
I suspect that with a proper oil stone, the oil really does penetrate into the stone, so it doesn’t lubricate too well. A very fine stone like my translucent Arkansas needs a very light oil or it WILL stay on top and slow the cutting.

Needless to say, diasharp plates aren’t stones. The key is to understand why we put liquid on our stones so we can always choose a liquid that works.

FWIW, I’m enjoying my diasharp plates, as I’m teaching my boys to sharpen. PSA sharpeningsupplies.com has a set of 4 for $200. I have the same set, but bought individually and paid a lot more.
(01-26-2019, 10:05 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: I suspect that with a proper oil stone, the oil really does penetrate into the stone, so it doesn’t lubricate too well. A very fine stone like my translucent Arkansas needs a very light oil or it WILL stay on top and slow the cutting.

Needless to say, diasharp plates aren’t stones. The key is to understand why we put liquid on our stones so we can always choose a liquid that works.

FWIW, I’m enjoying my diasharp plates, as I’m teaching my boys to sharpen. PSA sharpeningsupplies.com has a set of 4 for $200. I have the same set, but bought individually and paid a lot more.

Norton's Silicon Carbide hones soaks it up like a sponge......and they cut almost as fast as a diamond hone...but they don't stay flat...they wear away like a waterstone.
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-26-2019, 10:05 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: I suspect that with a proper oil stone, the oil really does penetrate into the stone, so it doesn’t lubricate too well. A very fine stone like my translucent Arkansas needs a very light oil or it WILL stay on top and slow the cutting.

That's where I just bought mine, couldn't find a better deal for them anywhere else.
Bruce.
(01-26-2019, 08:01 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: Disclaimer: products like Trends cutting fluid are convenient for people who don’t want to play Mr Science for an afternoon. Ive never tried it, but I’m sure it works fine. To be fair, so does window cleaner. Vinegar and water or ammonia and water would probably also work well. The nice thing about ammonia is that it leaves nothing behind, no residue. They use it to clean old furniture in museums. I use it to clean old wooden tools. So if you got it on your bench, it wouldnt pose a problem. But I’ve never tried it on my diasharp plates.

I have read online that the ammonia can damage the nickle that is used by DMT to secure the diamonds and protect the plate.  Not sure how true this is but I have just been using a cheap automotive window cleaner since they use alcohol instead of ammonia.  works fine.