making a leather holster for my block plane-
Today while I was working I left it in the sun in my truck to try to darken the veg tan leather a little. Purely a vanity thing. Didnt change much so I think i will just let it patina over time. Not sure how the if leather dye can cause galvinic reactions and since I made sure to get veg tan to avoid rust issues as much as possible I will leave it be.

Its kind of an ugly duckling but I can hold it upside down and the plane doest fall out so its an A on function.

Attached Files Image(s)

Things I will do different next time I try something like this. 

Either get a proper modeling tool to help form the leather, Or get some foam for shaping kydex and see how well that works for even pressure on the item.

I will probably rivet the top of the stitches.  Didn't have the rivets I wanted and I figured I wasn't sure if I needed them.  I think it would be a little better with but only time will tell.

I wanted to be able to take things apart if I wanted to use the leather form on a different mount or sheath. But I think I would end up redoing it anyway so next time I will glue as well as sew things together.

Thanks for looking!
Whats your next leather project?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-26-2019, 09:14 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Whats your next leather project?

Need to make some more covers for holdfast/ Veritas holddown.

I have a framing hatchet that I inherited that needs a sheath and a new handle.  Have a boys axe that needs the same.

Want to try making some chisel covers.

tool roll or two.

want to try making a pouch that holds a few tools to keep on me in the shop- still designing decideding what I want here...  something that holds a chisel a marking knife a pencil and maybe a square.  dont know.

When I am getting comfortable I am going to try a leather apron that fits my broad shoulders and no neck. 

Lots to do.... making some wood projects as well.  Since I am still learning I will most likely start with the smaller stuff.

Any interest in me posting more of of this as I learn?
Interest, yes, I am. Have done very little leather work, but it has
always been an interest. Post away!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Yes. Very interested.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-26-2019, 09:04 PM)mongo Wrote: Today while I was working I left it in the sun in my truck to try to darken the veg tan leather a little.  Purely a vanity thing.  Didnt change much so I think i will just let it patina over time.  Not sure how the if leather dye can cause galvinic reactions and since I made sure to get veg tan to avoid rust issues as much as possible I will leave it be.

Its kind of an ugly duckling but I can hold it upside down and the plane doest fall out so its an A on function.

I used Ballistol on my (purchased) leather sheath for garden shears and it seemed to work well.  Also darkened the leather to a nice color.  Good work! 

https://ballistol.com/uses/leather-care/

Michael
Draw knife covers are a good project with leather.
Very cool little project - I've dabbled a bit with leather myself and find it really enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing!
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(01-25-2019, 12:10 PM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: Texas Heritage

Jason makes some great ones here.  I also have his aprons and saddlebags.

Wow, great site.  That one is going to cost me!  
Crazy
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13