sharpening a router bit
(01-26-2019, 09:40 AM)Willyou Wrote: In case it isn't already understood, when you hone it yourself, always hone just the face of the blade (equivalent to the back of a chisel). Trying to hone the bevel will tend to change the shape of the cut and reduce the diameter of the bit. Honing the face will change the diameter very very little.

(01-30-2019, 02:17 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Peter
Take you time on each one and never sharpen the inside.  The round file is for a lot of bits like forstner bits.

So which way is it? I've always just touched up the flat side, not the bevel. I know each time I do it I'll get more of a, for lack of a better term, negative hook angle. I've also found that continuing to use a dull bit and trying to sharpen it later, doesn't work out too well. The cutting edge gets rounded too much to hone. If a HHS bit gets dull when using the stock feeder it's toast long before I really notice any burning on the stock. They last a lot longer if kept sharp.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"

Quote:So which way is it? I've always just touched up the flat side, not the bevel. I know each time I do it I'll get more of a, for lack of a better term, negative hook angle.

This is an exaggerated sketch of a typical router bit edge. The two guide lines represent an exaggerated amount removed from either the face or bevel. You can readily see that removing the same amount of material from the bevel will change the diameter of the bit by a greater amount. If you are sharpening a bit where maintaining the shape and diameter doesn't matter too much, then sharpening the bevel is usually easier. But, if it matters, then honing the face is best. Honing the face will not significantly change the hook angle.
(01-30-2019, 04:30 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: So which way is it? I've always just touched up the flat side, not the bevel. I know each time I do it I'll get more of a, for lack of a better term, negative hook angle. I've also found that continuing to use a dull bit and trying to sharpen it later, doesn't work out too well. The cutting edge gets rounded too much to hone. If a HHS bit gets dull when using the stock feeder it's toast long before I really notice any burning on the stock. They last a lot longer if kept sharp.

Thanks for the catch of my mistake.  I meant Outside and changed it.

If the outside of any bit or forstner bit is done on the outside it will change the diameter just do the inside areas.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.