How to darken drawer pulls
We have some newish metal drawer pulls—oh so shiney gold. They have a fancy back plate and hinged handle.
What would you spray them with to make them darker, older looking.
Thanks for your advice.
Are they solid brass? If so, make sure there’s no lacquer, then hit with EZ-Off.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Gun blue might work. I use it to blacken parts and tools I machine.

Like this square socket.
[Image: RNdaFK5.jpg]

Just blacken and then steel wool for a flat and worn finish.
We found something, so will let others know. It’s a rattle-can. Their website says:

Mohawk TONE FINISH TONER. Finely ground, non-fading pigments for color repairs that last. Available in a wide variety of wood finishing shades. Used throughout the industry for quick efficient professional touch-up. Adapts to various methods so as to blend in spot repairs. Adjustment of sheen is achieved with a topcoat of clear lacquers available in gloss, satin, flat and dead flat.
If the parts are brass plated there will be a waterborne lacquer coating.  I doubt that most spray finishes will adhere.  You will have to test.

A magnet will tell you if the parts are plated steel.  

If they are plated steel, then there is the lacquer top coat, then a "flash" of brass and then nickel plating acting as a base coat.  

The brass will both tarnish easily once the lacquer is removed and will rub off almost as easily as erasing a pencil.  

If they are solid brass you can oxidize them.  But then you will have to top coat them to end the oxidation process.

https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/b...6jEALw_wcB
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
There is a process I have used to antique handles and such- depends on the colors you want- I wanted black rusted.

Sand the part well and clean with acetone. Spray dark brown and let that cure (about 5 days), then spray with black and let that cure a week or two. Then lightly sand spots (200 grit or even better- steel wool) until you break through the black paint and see the brown. Sand only the spots you want to look brown/rusty- soften the surface with steel wool. Then clear coat with a satin or gloss- which ever final appearance you like.
Carolyn (MsNomer) .... Welcome back. Good to hear from you again.

(01-29-2019, 11:28 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Carolyn (MsNomer) .... Welcome back. Good to hear from you again.

Glad to be back.  Wasn’t my doing—there was a glitch in my log-in and I had no way to communicate til someone contacted me.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson