Cleaning headlights
Similar to what WxMan has done, I have used wet/dry sandpaper working from coarse to very very fine. This requires a bit more elbow grease, but it works. I think UV radiation is what causes the clouding. So, they will cloud up again. Some product that will slow that process down, if there is such a thing, would be helpful
(01-26-2019, 08:38 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: ....
Best I've found, buy a can of Deep Woods Off. Yep, bug spray.
Spray to coat, let it stay for 2-3 minutes, then simply wipe it off with a rag. It will last 6-8 months, depending on your climate.

That stuff does a number on plastic.  I umpire baseball /softball .  On buggy nights  I have to use my old school metal counter , cause my plastic ones turn soft and gooey.
(01-27-2019, 12:25 PM)Willyou Wrote: Similar to what WxMan has done, I have used wet/dry sandpaper working from coarse to very very fine. This requires a bit more elbow grease, but it works. I think UV radiation is what causes the clouding. So, they will cloud up again. Some product that will slow that process down, if there is such a thing, would be helpful

Raised 

[Image: 041100005694lg.jpg]
This thread reminds me I need to fix mine too.

This guy on YouTube claims a permanent fix.

Have not tried any method yet myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(01-27-2019, 03:39 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: This thread reminds me I need to fix mine too.

This guy on YouTube claims a permanent fix.

Have not tried any method yet myself.

I watched the video.  It's the same thing as the kits sold in the Auto Parts store.  I really don't think it's going to be any more permanent than the kits.

The coating in the Meguiars kit is a type of lacquer; that's what it smells like.

The reason I don't think that any of the methods are permanent is that headlights are subjected to a lot of abuse from grit at high speed.  The coating is going to be abraded away over time.
Headlights are like windshields. A 100,000 miles a year in a semi, I averaged 1 windshield a year.
The road rash eats wiper blades.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I followed the instructions in this video:
Except I only went to #1500 because it is what I had, and I did not wax.
Over 2 years ago, and it still looks brand new.
This is what I would do again.
Ag

Edit: After the clear goes on it looks awful. I thought I really messed up. Wait half an hour for it to dry and it will look like new.
I've been following this thread with interest so obviously my headlights could use some help. My question is how much of an improvement does it make to how bright the lights shine? Is it a major improvement, or should I just get some "off road" replacement bulbs to compete with oncoming blue tinted ones that are blinding and somewhat aggravating when in all three mirrors?
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(01-27-2019, 09:01 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I've been following this thread with interest so obviously my headlights could use some help. My question is how much of an improvement does it make to how bright the lights shine? Is it a major improvement, or should I just get some "off road" replacement bulbs to compete with oncoming blue tinted ones that are blinding and somewhat aggravating when in all three mirrors?

Like new in my case, in my opinion.
From AAA

Research revealed that deteriorated headlights, when used on low beam, provided just 22 percent of the amount of light a new headlight does when operating at full capacity. AAA also examined the effects that replacing or restoring a headlight can have on improving the amount of light produced. Replacing  headlights with original equipment manufacturer parts is the most effective method to restore light output back to 100 percent.

Aftermarket parts also performed well, restoring light output between 83 and 90 percent, however these did fail to meet certain requirements for light intensity and were found to be more likely to produce glare for oncoming traffic. Restoring headlights, while the most cost effective option, offered less of an improvement in light output than replacement. Professional and DIY restoration returned light output back to approximately 70 percent. Both restoration methods, however, produced more glare than is acceptable according DOT criteria.