PSA -- connecting stovepipe together
(01-30-2019, 04:26 PM)daddo Wrote: I drill first hole then-  pi x diameter divided by 2, measure center from hole to hole and drill.  If you're worried about being straight, use a piece of tape wrapped around the pipe, but I never had trouble with that.

(1) How did you measure the outside diameter? And, was the stove pipe perfectly round?
(2) How did you make sure that the tape was wrapped straight around the pipe with no slant?
(3) How did you measure the length of the tape that you wrapped, before or after you wrapped it?

Just curious.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
(01-30-2019, 08:02 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: (1) How did you measure the outside diameter? And, was the stove pipe perfectly round?
(2) How did you make sure that the tape was wrapped straight around the pipe with no slant?
(3) How did you measure the length of the tape that you wrapped, before or after you wrapped it?

Just curious.

Old welders trick.  

Use paper that's heavy and wide enough not to flex.
Wrap the pipe and mark where it starts to overlap.
Lay flat and then you can easily measure total length and subdivide as needed.

Use wide enough piece you can measure a square the length of the pipe diameter, fold corner to corner both ways, then cut along the top two creases and you can lay out a 45 degree joint.  

Before calculators and computers we used pencils and paper to solve problems
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(01-30-2019, 10:28 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Before calculators and computers we used pencils and paper to solve problems
Rolleyes

In other words using your brain!!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me