Rust removal
I recently inherited a few older hand tools, a couple bailey planes, couple spoke shaves, etc. What is the best way to remove surface rust from these? They have been sitting in a barn for several years. Thanks, Jack.
Citric Acid works very well and is inexpensive.
Tractor Supply carries it near their canning jars.

Permatex Rust Remover Gel works pretty good too.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
elbow grease helps
Evaporust ... best stuff I've ever used.  non toxic, reusable. Soak a couple hours or overnight....wash with water....oil immediately to avoid flash rust.  I also use the red (automotive) scrubber pads which work amazingly well.  For saws or flat surfaces I use a razor blade to remove loose rust...you can really remove a lot like this...then soak...then wax and use the scrubber.  Evaporust is about $18 per gallon...last me a long time....get it at automotive parts store..I get it at O'reilly's . 
good luck,
Don
Thanks guys, I'll give these things a try. Jack
My views have changed over time.  I used to want total rust eradication, best of all through Evaporust.
More often these days I'm very happy to get most of the crust off by scraping and abrasives, and then burnish up a nice browned finish ("patina") with a buffing wheel & compound, and then some wax and/or some Kramer's Best antique improver.   The oxide I have left, I don't mind.

Chris
Chris
Vinegar. Cheap and effective. Available everywhere.

Take apart all the metal parts. Submerge in vinegar
overnight. Rinse off next day. Oil parts. Reassemble.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(01-27-2019, 10:28 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: More often these days I'm very happy to get most of the crust off by scraping and abrasives, and then burnish up a nice browned finish ("patina") with a buffing wheel & compound, and then some wax and/or some Kramer's Best antique improver.   The oxide I have left, I don't mind.

Chris

I have always been happy with a solid oxidized finish.  I get rid of loose rust with WD-40 and a single edge razor. What's left after that usually doesn't corrode further in my shop.
(01-27-2019, 11:40 AM)MarkSingleton Wrote: Vinegar. Cheap and effective. Available everywhere.

Take apart all the metal parts. Submerge in vinegar
overnight. Rinse off next day. Oil parts. Reassemble.

Yep...tried and true method...so simple even a caveman can do it.........
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Put me in the vinegar camp. It works every time, usually overnight. Nothing better or cheaper.