Shop layout
Its been a long time since I logged in here.  Seems odd because I once would frequent this page a few times a day then I just stopped. Anyhow, last year things got carried away at my shop and business was a boomin'.  As a result I quickly realized that my work flow just wasn't satisfactory and ultimately caused me a fair amount of lost time.  I am down for a few weeks waiting for a new arbor shaft to be made at my machinist so I figured I would use this time to fix the work flow issue.  My question to you is this.  What is the location of your tablesaw to your jointer to your planer etc.  I have a 20 x 24 garage with the TS in the center, my jointer in one corner and my planer in between both.  It seems like to much walking.  I have a cabinet saw, 8 inch jointer and 15" planer as well as a 16/32 sander, miter saw station, bandsaw, drill press and the Shark HD4 cnc router

Thanks

FYI _ Ive been doing this for 20 years and just now asking this
My shop is 24x24.

I'm setting it up very closely to what is shown in the October '18 issue of Wood magazine.
Semper fi,
Brad

(01-28-2019, 03:59 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: My shop is 24x24.

I'm setting it up very closely to what is shown in the October '18 issue of Wood magazine.
Any chance of finding a picture of that?  Im going to google it but figured I would ask
I looked for the magazine this afternoon but it didn't turn up. I'll look again and post it.
Semper fi,
Brad

A lot depends on what you're making, and how many.

The ideal setup for custom one-offs will be different from the ideal setup for production-type work, where you batch parts for bunches of finished units at a time.

Tell us more and someone may be more helpful than me.

Laugh
That's a lot of equipment for that size space, plus at least one workbench, storage cabinets, etc., to say nothing of any wood storage, but here's a whack at it.

When I had a separate jointer and planer, I had them back to back like shown in the layout.  Joint one way, plane back the other, then go to the drum sander if needed, then back to the TS.  

John
(01-28-2019, 04:54 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I looked for the magazine this afternoon but it didn't turn up.  I'll look again and post it.

I found it.  Wasn't what I was hoping to see.
(01-28-2019, 06:19 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: A lot depends on what you're making, and how many.

The ideal setup for custom one-offs will be different from the ideal setup for production-type work, where you batch parts for bunches of finished units at a time.

Tell us more and someone may be more helpful than me.

Laugh

I am a full custom shop with CNC.  I spent a lot of time working the CNC this year with basic furniture pieces made along the way
(01-28-2019, 07:45 PM)jteneyck Wrote: That's a lot of equipment for that size space, plus at least one workbench, storage cabinets, etc., to say nothing of any wood storage, but here's a whack at it.

When I had a separate jointer and planer, I had them back to back like shown in the layout.  Joint one way, plane back the other, then go to the drum sander if needed, then back to the TS.  

John

LOL and we didn't get my coal furnace, 2 router tables, 2 wood storage racks, 1 belt/disc sander and 2 work benches.  Yeah, youre right. Its a lot of equipment.  It wasn't bad until I decided to buy the cnc and start keeping all this lumber  I currently have my jointer and planer positioned like you mentioned but Im not sure if I like it or not.  I think its a good solution but a big change to adjust too.  LOVE LOVE LOVE the pic you did too
My material comes in the back double door and gets stacked.

Finished items end up at the front.

Just figure your machining steps from rear to front, or side to side.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020