Shop layout
(01-28-2019, 03:56 PM)Wayne G. Wrote: Its been a long time since I logged in here.  Seems odd because I once would frequent this page a few times a day then I just stopped. Anyhow, last year things got carried away at my shop and business was a boomin'.  As a result I quickly realized that my work flow just wasn't satisfactory and ultimately caused me a fair amount of lost time.  I am down for a few weeks waiting for a new arbor shaft to be made at my machinist so I figured I would use this time to fix the work flow issue.  My question to you is this.  What is the location of your tablesaw to your jointer to your planer etc.  I have a 20 x 24 garage with the TS in the center, my jointer in one corner and my planer in between both.  It seems like to much walking.  I have a cabinet saw, 8 inch jointer and 15" planer as well as a 16/32 sander, miter saw station, bandsaw, drill press and the Shark HD4 cnc router

Thanks

FYI _ Ive been doing this for 20 years and just now asking this

Now that we cant post pics from photo bucket I havnt done a shop tour in sometime. Im my 24x24 shop....I have the following:

A dedicated spray room (7x10)
PM66 with 84" fence rail
15" stationary planer
6" jointer
Floor drill press
Cyclone
CNC similar to yours (its a probotix)
16/32 sander
6x89 edge sander
router table
shaper
2 workbenches
mitersaw station
8' granite top with rollaway under it
6' sanding bench
12" discsander
jet benchtop spindle sander
14" BS
17" BS

Its extremely efficient. I am up to more than 13,000 urns a year out of that small space (and I have two storage units for shipping/inventory and one for lumber storage) I am all about 5S....for me its critical. Its stunning how much crap I had in there over the years.....that I was able to move to storage or get rid of all together. Id guess it equated to 25% of my total shop space.....crazy I know, but its true. 

I do a ton of batch work, so im less worried about steps (since its a small space) rather needing to move a bunch of parts from one side of the shop to the other. Guess it comes down to what you make and being able to strategically placing a workbench or benches to be used for multiple processes.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(01-28-2019, 07:59 PM)Wayne G. Wrote: LOL and we didn't get my coal furnace, 2 router tables, 2 wood storage racks, 1 belt/disc sander and 2 work benches.  Yeah, youre right. Its a lot of equipment.  It wasn't bad until I decided to buy the cnc and start keeping all this lumber  I currently have my jointer and planer positioned like you mentioned but Im not sure if I like it or not.  I think its a good solution but a big change to adjust too.  LOVE LOVE LOVE the pic you did too

Ah, the lumber problem.  Been there.  It got so bad I couldn't move around and didn't even have enough space left to assemble a large cabinet anymore.  I finally built a shed this past Summer and now have most all of my lumber stored out there, with only a couple hundred BF on one wall, a cart for sheet goods, and another for offcuts.  Then I did some purging of things I hadn't used in 20+ years and rearranged my layout a little.  Now my shop feels about twice as large and much more efficient, but I still need to purge more stuff.  

Putting your jointer and planer back to back is about the most efficient use of space and also centralizes electric and DC hookups.  My current J/P combo unit and drum sander are on mobile bases and I move them several feet when I need the space for my temporary spray booth.  If you haven't already done that with some of your machines it might be worth considering.    

John  
Here's me... I have similar tools and space as you so I thought I would post this. I don't mind having the jointer and planer away from each other. I don't often go from the planer straight to the TS* but I do go from the jointer to the TS for a quick rip fairly often. (*technically I do go from the planer to the TS, but I tend to do things in batches so it's not like I'm going back and forth a lot). The workflow works pretty well from the jointer to the TS, and I use the outfield table on the TS to shuffle boards in between. The drum sander sits in a corner and I have to roll it out to use it. I'm not claiming this is the best layout ever, but I like the jointer to the left of the TS, and this helps centralize the DC. I do have to move the jointer from time to time to use the area to the left of the TS blade. In case it's not clear, the jointer is under a dust cover in the photo.

[Image: 31150346047_7f32eaf9aa_b.jpg]
(01-28-2019, 11:06 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Here's me... I have similar tools and space as you so I thought I would post this. I don't mind having the jointer and planer away from each other. I don't often go from the planer straight to the TS* but I do go from the jointer to the TS for a quick rip fairly often. (*technically I do go from the planer to the TS, but I tend to do things in batches so it's not like I'm going back and forth a lot). The workflow works pretty well from the jointer to the TS, and I use the outfield table on the TS to shuffle boards in between. The drum sander sits in a corner and I have to roll it out to use it. I'm not claiming this is the best layout ever, but I like the jointer to the left of the TS, and this helps centralize the DC. I do have to move the jointer from time to time to use the area to the left of the TS blade. In case it's not clear, the jointer is under a dust cover in the photo.

[Image: 31150346047_7f32eaf9aa_b.jpg]
I like how your saw faces the garage door. If you have a longer cut then you just open up. I may consider this option as it will open up tons of space and allow me to place my jointer in a similar manner.
(01-28-2019, 08:27 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Now that we cant post pics from photo bucket I havnt done a shop tour in sometime. Im my 24x24 shop....I have the following:

A dedicated spray room (7x10)
PM66 with 84" fence rail
15" stationary planer
6" jointer
Floor drill press
Cyclone
CNC similar to yours (its a probotix)
16/32 sander
6x89 edge sander
router table
shaper
2 workbenches
mitersaw station
8' granite top with rollaway under it
6' sanding bench
12" discsander
jet benchtop spindle sander
14" BS
17" BS

Its extremely efficient. I am up to more than 13,000 urns a year out of that small space (and I have two storage units for shipping/inventory and one for lumber storage) I am all about 5S....for me its critical. Its stunning how much crap I had in there over the years.....that I was able to move to storage or get rid of all together. Id guess it equated to 25% of my total shop space.....crazy I know, but its true. 

I do a ton of batch work, so im less worried about steps (since its a small space) rather needing to move a bunch of parts from one side of the shop to the other. Guess it comes down to what you make and being able to strategically placing a workbench or benches to be used for multiple processes.

13,000 urns!!!    Good grief!!!
The critical piece in my shop is a big table I set up in the center of the shop.
This is used continuously throughout the project.
This is where I sort the lumber, and then keep the workpieces during each step.
Most of my operations are 1-2 steps away from it and done in batches, so it never feels like I have to go too far.
I also use this table for the assembly.

Note that this is *not* my work bench, which I 

If you have space within the shop and your tools are more spread out, a rolling table or cart might be even better.

Matt
My garage is slightly larger than yours, but not much.

Maybe this will help some....

.pdf   Shop Layout-Layout1.pdf (Size: 33.64 KB / Downloads: 229)
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Love the square set up your planer,jointer,sander shape. May try this. Thanks
With a space that size, workflow isn’t really going to happen. Usually it’s more finding how to situate each machine so it can have ample infeed/outfeed space.

And, “too much walking” in a 20x24 shop doesn’t seem like it would really be that big of a deal.
I have a 20x20 shop and have the machines on one side with a big assembly table aspartame’s of the table saw so it’s 8’ by 7’. It does take up a lot of space but I use the table for everything and serves as a big outfeed table for the TS.
Don