Limited success - and a new Issue
I came across some walnut yesterday.  Brought it home, chainsawed it into rough blanks, then finished cutting it up on the bandsaw.  Took one of them to the lathe and roughed out a bowl.  Since the last time I was here, I have improved alot.  I am at least using the tools correctly.  I was able to finish what I think is at least a rough bowl, that has potential to not be firewood.  Time will tell I guess.

Problem I ran in to was how easily I was stalling out the lathe.  I have a Jet 14-42 VS.  Any moderatly heavy cut, and the bowl would come to a stop.  This happened when turned between centers on the drive spur, but also while chucked up on a tenon.  I had to cut a little, ease off, and cut more to let the bowl get back up to speed.

How should I dissect this problem?  I just replaced the belt a few weeks ago from the torn up one that was there.  This is no easy task on this machine...

Thoughts?

Here is the roughed bowl.

Attached Files Image(s)

I also have a Jet lathe.  I believe 1236 VS.  It does the same thing.
Only thing I could think of is check the belts and make sure there in good shape and tight. Maybe the belt is slipping some.

You may just need to take lighter cuts with sharp tools.
Don
(01-28-2019, 10:14 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: I came across some walnut yesterday.  Brought it home, chainsawed it into rough blanks, then finished cutting it up on the bandsaw.  Took one of them to the lathe and roughed out a bowl.  Since the last time I was here, I have improved alot.  I am at least using the tools correctly.  I was able to finish what I think is at least a rough bowl, that has potential to not be firewood.  Time will tell I guess.

Problem I ran in to was how easily I was stalling out the lathe.  I have a Jet 14-42 VS.  Any moderatly heavy cut, and the bowl would come to a stop.  This happened when turned between centers on the drive spur, but also while chucked up on a tenon.  I had to cut a little, ease off, and cut more to let the bowl get back up to speed.

How should I dissect this problem?  I just replaced the belt a few weeks ago from the torn up one that was there.  This is no easy task on this machine...

Thoughts?

Here is the roughed bowl.

In order of importance, it goes presentation, pressure, sharpness with the tool.  From the looks of your shavings, you're not presenting to slice, but to dig.  The fact you are succeeding indicates you're pressing pretty hard.  As you've discovered, variable rpm requires more ponies to equal a similar rated mechanical drive, so match the pully for best torque, not high rpm. 

I'm a heretic, as others here know, but using a broad sweep gouge, if you have one, and skewing to effectively lower the cutting angle should result in thin, curling shavings that flop and fall, not thick straight ones.  A look at the top of the bag next to my lathe, when roughing wet wood. 

Go wide, slew the edge to the feed, and feed slowly when taking shavings, and you can certainly peel continuously, even inside. 

Even after after the piece is dry.

Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Interesting.  I am a big time believer in reading hand plane shavings to diagnose hand plane setup or technique issues... makes sense to learn to do the same with lathe shavings...

The shavings that are up on the wall in my picture there came from hollowing the inside of the bowl...

I did not get anything close to those types of shavings doing the outside.  I am obviously still presenting the tool incorrectly there.  

Also, sharpness.  I'm noticing my tool performs better fresh off the grinding wheel... but that it drastically reduces efficiency, even after a minute or two.  An upgraded bowl gouge might help there, but first need to learn to use this one correctly.
First I would check which pulley it is on and make sure it is on the lowest speed which provides the torque.  Then it would be to make sure about the tightness of the belts.  Also since the motor end is by the headstock it would suck in a lot of the dust so it may have a lot of dust build up inside so blow it out to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It is a reeves drive.  So I don't think it has different pulley settings, unless I am mistaken.

I will try to blow out the motor to see if it gets more oomph.
(01-29-2019, 12:55 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: It is a reeves drive.  So I don't think it has different pulley settings, unless I am mistaken.

I will try to blow out the motor to see if it gets more oomph.

There is your problem right there,Reeves Dr.Been through it.It needs to be taken apart and cleaned and lubricated.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
chips ahoy nailed it!  Lubricate the shaft and get the pully to open and close freely. "Belt Dressing" will also help a little.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(01-30-2019, 08:11 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: chips ahoy nailed it!  Lubricate the shaft and get the pully to open and close freely. "Belt Dressing" will also help a little.

Oddly enough, the bright lights of the turning world before fancy electronics used to recommend under-tensioning of belts so the piece would slip on a "catch" instead of going airborne.  Good teaching technique to prod proper presentation!
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.