Really cool Christmas ornament project
It is not quite what he wanted but it sure is cool

As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
He didn't dovetail his tenons prior to chucking them up, so he's not getting full contact with the chuck jaws. It looks like he is using the smooth dovetail jaws, which I believe are dovetailed both on the inside and outside. I could be wrong.

It was painful to watch the angle of his gouge in the beginning and then even more painful to watch him using a skew as a scraper. I kept waiting for a catch. It could be just the angle of his camera.

I don't know why he epoxied the finial to the light, because you'll never be able to change the battery.

But, you can't argue with his results. Creative and you gotta love olive wood.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
That was cool to watch.  I like that he showed the problems he ran into and his solutions as he went along.
I'm wondering how he plans to service the lamp too.
(01-30-2019, 03:27 PM)AHill Wrote: He didn't dovetail his tenons prior to chucking them up, so he's not getting full contact with the chuck jaws.  It looks like he is using the smooth dovetail jaws, which I believe are dovetailed both on the inside and outside.  I could be wrong.

It was painful to watch the angle of his gouge in the beginning and then even more painful to watch him using a skew as a scraper.  I kept waiting for a catch.  It could be just the angle of his camera.

I don't know why he epoxied the finial to the light, because you'll never be able to change the battery.

But, you can't argue with his results.  Creative and you gotta love olive wood.

He epoxied the top of the light to the top so by what I could see is just turning the top will activate the light switch which to me is smart.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(01-31-2019, 12:24 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: He epoxied the top of the light to the top so by what I could see is just turning the top will activate the light switch which to me is smart.

Yes, but by doing so, he basically prevented access to the battery that powers the light.  I can see where he might be able to change the bulb, but the light housing inside the finial is no longer accessible.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(01-31-2019, 03:24 PM)AHill Wrote: Yes, but by doing so, he basically prevented access to the battery that powers the light.  I can see where he might be able to change the bulb, but the light housing inside the finial is no longer accessible.

I do not know how it works; I would just love to make one or have a battery inside with LED lights which maybe change colors.
Like I said it was a really cool project.  I was also thinking he would or could have gotten more light out of the sides if he did not do it with the dark colors or just put a light color insert in there.
Well no matter it still came out well.