Fein Vac Model 9.11.20
Hi,
I have an older Fein vacuum / dust extractor (9.11.20). The sound proofing foam has deteriorated and is blowing out the exhaust on top. This creates a mess,

and also suggests that the sound is not being dampened as designed.

Unfortunately, Fein has discontinued the sound proofing foam parts. I have searched & called around and nobody seems to have spares.

I even called Fein's repair shop hoping that they might have some, but they said it's been years.

I'm considering trying to replace the foam myself, but am unsure of what kind of foam to source and where to get it from.

Has anybody else attempted a repair of their old Fein vacuum's foam soundproofing? Any advice would be appreciated.
Yes, I had the same problem.
I researched and came up with : https://ashermade.com/2017/07/17/fein-tu...a-upgrade/
I bought foam through Foam Factory I believe. I had to purchase much more than I needed.
I disassembled, cleaned, cut the foam sections to the original profiles and re assembled everything.  In the end, the vacuum works but it disappointingly makes more noise than it did when it was new.  I can only guess that it is the exact type of foam that I used.  It is still quieter than my other shop vacuums.

Good luck,  johnbarfielddesign.com
(02-02-2019, 03:06 PM)bargrove Wrote: Yes, I had the same problem.
I researched and came up with : https://ashermade.com/2017/07/17/fein-tu...a-upgrade/
I bought foam through Foam Factory I believe. I had to purchase much more than I needed.
I disassembled, cleaned, cut the foam sections to the original profiles and re assembled everything.  In the end, the vacuum works but it disappointingly makes more noise than it did when it was new.  I can only guess that it is the exact type of foam that I used.  It is still quieter than my other shop vacuums.

Good luck,  johnbarfielddesign.com

Thanks John.....
(02-02-2019, 05:31 PM)digger Wrote: Thanks John.....

I had the same problem. I bought acoustic foam with self stick adhesive on one side off ebay. There was enough remaining of the original foam to use as a pattern for the tricky parts. The sound is about where it was when new. The foam I bought was too thick in places but it turns out that I can resaw more than wood with a bandsaw and fine toothed blade
Smile . The foam has to be pretty dense which the acoustic foam was. I partially reassembled the top without foam and turned it on. It was no quieter than a decent Ridgid or Shop Vac. That foam in the cover seems to account for most of the sound attenuation.