$1K Bandsaw Comparison
In order from least recommended to highest recommended: 

5) Grizzly 17" GO513, $1116 (closeout price with shipping).

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...2-HP/G0513
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...on/G0513X2

I respect the Griz. I know you all love them. They do a great job for the "best bang for the buck" category. And this is a giant 17" saw, which is much bigger than the stuff I recommend. Sigh. I just can't get over the bearing guides. Mounting the guides this way makes no sense. The back bearings just gets destroyed over time [I had a 20" Delta with this arrangement and it happens within months]. The side bearings are also positioned in a way that doesn't work the way bearings are designed to work. Life is too short for these sorts of things.

I like the G0513X2, but at $1314, this saw is getting out of the $1000 category and while it has well positioned side bearings it still has a rear bearing facing the wrong direction and no brake. Unless you really need a 17" saw, there are better options...

4) Powermatic - 14" Bandsaw, Model PWBS-14CS, $1170 on sale this week.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/power...3ae3000bf8

This is a classic design with classic strengths, but considering the new competition, there are better choices for the money. 

3) Jet - 14" Steel Frame Band Saw, 13" Resaw Capacity Model JWBS14-SFX, $1100

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/14-steel-frame-band-saw-13-resaw-capacity-model-jwbs14-sfx?via=573621bd69702d0676000002%2C573621e069702d0676000f61%2C5764018e69702d3ae3000bf8

I wanted to like this saw. It's beautiful. It's got striking features: great fence, best in class heavy wheels, great guides [that are, ahem, positioned correctly--although noticeably smaller than the Rikon], good on/off switch, best in class blade tension arm, large table, decent dust collection and nice weight. That's an impressive list of merits.

However, there are some nasty flaws in the details. The table trunnions are surprisingly small. Jet is obviously saving money here. If you work with heavy materials like large logs, def avoid this saw. Clearly, Jet doesn't think folks are gonna notice this. 

Additionally, the lower guide bearings have a metal shroud around them creating a total headache to adjust. It seems designed to protect the bottom bearings from falling debris--which is a fine goal--but I'd rather have the access to adjust them.

This is a reasonable choice. I use this saw at work and the dust collection is surprisingly good. That said, I think option number 2 and 1 below are smarter picks. 

2. Laguna - Laguna 14 bx Bandsaw 110, $1400

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/laguna-14bx-bandsaw-110v-1-75-hp?via=573621bd69702d0676000002%2C573621e069702d0676000f61%2C5764018e69702d3ae3000bf8

Oh my what a beautiful tool. I'm always torn between buying for beauty and buying for function. I don't want to admit that a beautiful tool affects my decision-making but there it is. This Laguna, with it's stunning paint and dynamically placed typography [with the exception of the switch which looks like a toy] is clearly outside of the $1000 category but has stunning features that justify the additional investment: inspired dust collection, strong table trunnion, nice wheels and a fantastically designed disc brake system [like on a bike] that switches the motor off simultaneously. Wow, be still my heart. 

There are downsides. The fit and finish is hit and miss. The fence quality is astonishingly cheap, to a comic degree. Also, the guide adjustments are made from a surprisingly cheap, flimsy plastic. I'm surprised by Laguna's audacity to make such obvious and easily-avoided missteps. 

The ceramic guides are a conversation. There's a lot of material out there that suggests this is the better way to do it, but the folks I've talked to at Burns Tools [who have a history of giving me great advice] like other saws better [they like the Jet, they don't have a Rikon on the floor]. The folks at WoodCraft in Mass [great store!] also roll their eyes at the Laguna. This Woodcraft sells 10 Rikons [see below] for every 1 Laguna [they also sell the Jet, which is noteworthy]. Woodcraft has a working shop in their store to teach classes. They're extremely familiar with both the Laguna ceramic guides and the Rikon guides and prefer Rikon's. They say the Rikon has a clear advantage over the Laguna in re-sawing. This makes sense to me, Laguna's rear ceramic guides make me nervous. I have a hard time believing this system will save more blades and require less fuss than a guide system with correctly facing bearings. 

[June 20 2020 Update: if you look in the Laguna manual it recommends rotating the rear thrust ceramic pad every 8 hours to avoid getting a groove. Ugh: I prefer systems that are not designed to fail. Also heads up: ceramic guide can spark creating a potential fire hazard. If you're using a dust collector than take note.]

The Laguna is a great saw. It gets a lotta love from a lotta reviews, and HAS A BRAKE, great dust control and with many solid details but the ceramic guides have details that are not well implemented as well as some core issues and the fence is a joke. My guess is that Laguna got used to being king and has gotten lazy. These details decrease confidence and slow down my desire to spend $1400--the most of any of these saws--particularly when you could get the new Rikon below for $300 less. 

A note on the Laguna 14-12: Don't buy this saw. The Rikon for the same price goes complete circles around it. 

1. Rikon - 14" Deluxe Bandsaw, Model 10-326, $1100

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/rikon...3ae3000bf8

This isn't a perfect bandsaw. $1000[ish] gets a good saw, not a perfect one. However, this Rikon delivers the best mix I've found of the most essential elements. 

Standout features include STUNNING GUIDE BEARINGS that beats everything in this class. They're huge bearings positioned correctly and use an innovative spring to make them adjustable without tools. Imagine that. The Rikon also features an impressive geared trunnion table angle adjuster and oversized release [both of which no other saw in this category has] that makes angling the table noticeably easier than other saws here. To make cutting plastics and metals easier the Rikon adds the capacity for adjusting the belt for high and low speeds [again: no other saw in this category has this].

The Rikon fence is great and my second favorite, a hair below the Jet. The Rikon fence has an innovative dial to easily adjust it's parallel-ness with the blade--which again no other saw in this class has. Do you see a trend? Rikon is fighting hard. The Rikon has a solid-enough trunnion, although the Laguna is def better, and the Rikon has wheels about as good as Laguna and a tad underneath Jet.

Take note that this Rikon also has the capacity to upgrade to their new digital control and variable speed motor that features a brake for an additional $650. You read that correctly: you turn a knob and the saw gradually changes speed. With this feature the saw also constantly adjusts power so you never feel a lag. It's almost worth it for the brake aloneHere's the details: https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-326dvr

Flaws of the Rikon include terrible dust collection, possibly the worst on this list. The quick release gets the job done but seems underwhelming compared to others like the Jet. I'm nervous about the Rikon's fence support bar which hangs way too far without support. I'm also rolling my eyes about the plastic adjustment cranks which are noticeably less quality than most saws on this list. 

A note on the Rikon 324: if at all possible, upgrade to the 326. The amount of features you get for the money is significant. This explains it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzRCBLVuuN8

----------------------

SUMMARY

5) Grizzly 513: Needs an expensive guide upgrade, so just get a better saw to begin with. 
4) Powermatic 14CS: Meh.
3) Jet 14-SFX: Top fence & wheels. Good dust. Below average trunnion and good luck adjusting those lower guides. 
2) Laguna 14BX: Top dust and brake. Very Strong core functionality. Terrible fence and guides with issues [and a surprisingly loyal following]. See this video
1) Rikon 326: Top guides and many features not found on other saws, good fence. Strong core functionality. lowest price in this group. Terrible dust. 

----------------------

Additional Notes

The reason I'm writing this is that all of this is really hard to quantify. I [thought I--see below] made a decision to purchase the Rikon but my heart is still connected to things I love in the Laguna (aesthetics and the brake) and the Jet (fence and the support of folks I trust who have saved my bacon many times). But there I'd be in the store staring at Laguna's terrible fence or Jet's ridiculous trunnion and just not be able to pull the trigger with either. But it's close. Cheers to my colleagues here who landed on a different conclusion--these are all great saws that will enable us all to make great things. The world would be boring if we all came to the same conclusion. But definitely don't get a Laguna or Jet until you at least take a look at the new Rikon 326.

----------------------

June 28, 2019 Update

I thought I was gonna get the Rikon. But then a 80's/90's Delta 14" popped up on CL in cherry condition for $400. It's got great trunnions, all metal parts/knobs and has super styling look. So I'm getting that, a new $180 Grizzly fence, and a new dedicated vacuum that automatically turns on for well under anything on this list. 

My best advice: follow CL for a few months and wait one out. And yes: it totally cracks me up that I gave ceramic guides such a hard time above and yet I'm probably gonna upgrade this vintage Delta to ceramic blocks in the near future. Cheers Laguna fans. 

----------------------

Aug 10, 2020 Update

I love this 14" Delta but decided to make it a dedicated curve saw and get a 18" bandsaw for straight cuts. Here's my notes on $2K+ Bandsaws
On the Laguna 14bx.  After over a year of hard use.  I took the rear ceramic guide block out, gave it a quick buff on a diamond stone, and within a few minutes it was like new.  I figure there is about a decade of use in this one at this rate.
I have the Laguna.  I love it.  Seriously, you won't have buyer's remorse with this one. I was uncertain about the ceramic guides at first, but I haven't see anything in a year and a half to cause me any concern at all about them.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Laguna 14SUV bandsaw based shop. No issues with the ceramic guides whatsoever.
Ag
For those that have the Laguna, are you able to get by with the stock fence? Or did you replace it with something else?
I have the Laguna 18BX and with my experience and due the similarities, I would heavily lean toward the 14BX for the models listed.

I originally began my search in the 14" - 15" bandsaw range and researched & looked at each closely, traveling to multiple dealers in various directions to get my hands on as many as I could, constantly moving up in my focus where I narrowed it down to the Laguna 18BX.

I have the stock fence which does everything I want and need, so have found no need to consider replacing it - I actually like the design, quality and usability of the fence a lot.

Each of the saws listed would likely be a good machine but the features that drew me to the Laguna were the ceramic guides which I really like a lot, the blade brake which is a huge plus (it is amazing how long the blade can continue to silently spin once shut off, creating a longer wait when transitioning between activities or more critically a danger point should your fingers come near when you don't realize it's still spinning), both dust ports located on the same side of the machine (some machines have a port where it would interfere with some of the activities I perform) and the overall features and quality of the machine.  My specific choice of the larger 18BX was for the overall size, mass, power and capabilities of the machine (particularly for resaw work), as well as the more spacious table - each a feature that fits my particular needs the best.

Being able to physically explore each machine is a huge plus and it was definitely worth the various day-trips to see each saw in person.  I was able to purchase the saw during a 10% off sale and in addition the dealer (Wood Werks in Columbus, OH) had the saw in stock so I was able to buy the saw at the store which saved the standard $75 delivery fee and bring the well-packaged saw home in the back of my pick-up where I was able to back the saw up to the spot where it would be placed for unloading.

Attached Files Image(s)

Picking a bandsaw is very difficult, many choices, many compromises.  BTDT.  Good luck.

BTW, I saved my dough and went with a G0514X2 and have not regretted it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
BTW, Thank's to the OP for a well presented analysis.
Should be beneficial to anyone in the market.
-particularly when you could get the new Rikon below for $300 less

Or the comparable Laguna Saw - the 14 Twelve which retails for the exact same as the RIKON 10-326.  Might have been a more fair comparison if cost was a consideration.
(02-03-2019, 08:28 PM)loosetoe Wrote: -particularly when you could get the new Rikon below for $300 less

Or the comparable Laguna Saw - the 14 Twelve which retails for the exact same as the RIKON 10-326.  Might have been a more fair comparison if cost was a consideration.

I got the laguna 14 suv when it first came out 10 yrs ago, it was my third bs, It will be my last bs, I can do veneer 12+ inches no problem.  Its a joy to use next to the gz 14 and pm44 that I had 25 yrs ago.