Any opinions on Steelex? 12" Jointer?
I've been searching for a used 12" jointer for about a year now to replace my G0500 8" with a Shelix head without success (poor condition, to far, too expensive).  I seem to use a lot of boards wider than 8" and get a little weirded out by removing the guard on wide boards.   A 12" jointer would solve that.  After using straight blades and then the Shelix, going back to blades is not at all appealing.  Also been watching Grizzly's site, but have been out of stock for an extended period of time.  Seems like a few are finally coming in. 

The G609x has a 3hp motor with a 60 insert spiral head , The G0834s has a 5 hp motor with a 96 insert spiral head, it also weighs a couple hundred pounds more than the 0609X does...   I tend to like the higher count of inserts, but I'm not sure of that...plus the G0834 is still not in stock.

Enter the Steelex 1013 - owned by Woodstock/Shop Fox.  It has a 3 hp motor, but comes with the 96 insert spiral head for roughly the same price as the G0609X with 60 inserts.  It looks pretty identical to the Shopfox/Grizzly tools, which makes sense since they are owned by the same parent company.  Table sizes are roughly the same, all are parallelogram designs.  I"m happy with my other Grizzly tools, so I don't have any issue there.  

Any reason not to get the Steelex?   Seems like a good deal with the higher insert count and a lower price than the G0834...

Wait for the G0834 to come in?

I'm not aware of any new alternatives in a similar price range....

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
I can only tell you about the Grizzly G9860ZX 12" jointer. I sold my Grizzly 8" jointer to a friend just before moving, I can't remember the # but it had the spiral head. I loved both machines. When I order the 12" jointer, about 2 years ago, it was on back order. I tried to order it for several months, always on back order. So I called Grizzly and asked when they expected them to be in. There response was a couple of weeks but there was a back order which would be filled first, so no machines available. So I ordered the 12" model and was told a couple of months. They were estimate was pretty close. The wait was worth it. The machine is made on a cast iron base so I mounted the machine on vibration isolating "feet" that would handle the weight. The machine is 1000+ lbs. I use a pallet jack to move the machine when necessary. I do a lot of 10' - 12' long boards so the long bed helps. So far the 12" (11 3/4") head has been wide enough. The machine came well adjusted as to the beds being parallel. The only problem getting the machine was the trucking company would not deliver to my house. So I had it delivered to the local lumber yard that I do a lot of business with. Then picked it up with my trailer and unloaded with my tractor.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(02-03-2019, 03:16 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: So I had it delivered to the local lumber yard that I do a lot of business with. Then picked it up with my trailer and unloaded with my tractor.

Livin' large.  So you have a 12" jointer AND a tractor?   I wish I had property large enough that would require a tractor.   <sigh>
(02-06-2019, 02:52 PM)Cian Wrote: Livin' large.  So you have a 12" jointer AND a tractor?   I wish I had property large enough that would require a tractor.   <sigh>

Make the commitment, sell townhouse and move dude.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-06-2019, 02:52 PM)Cian Wrote: Livin' large.  So you have a 12" jointer AND a tractor?   I wish I had property large enough that would require a tractor.   <sigh>

Cian, lots of folks out here in Montana have tractors - sadly I'm not among them!

Doug

<also sighing>
Sending you a PM about a vintage 12"
Wink
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)

I wish I had a tractor... I need a 1 ton pickup and a chainsaw first.
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life
(02-03-2019, 01:28 PM)Bit_Fiddler Wrote: I've been searching for a used 12" jointer for about a year now to replace my G0500 8" with a Shelix head without success (poor condition, to far, too expensive).  I seem to use a lot of boards wider than 8" and get a little weirded out by removing the guard on wide boards.   A 12" jointer would solve that.  After using straight blades and then the Shelix, going back to blades is not at all appealing.  Also been watching Grizzly's site, but have been out of stock for an extended period of time.  Seems like a few are finally coming in. 

The G609x has a 3hp motor with a 60 insert spiral head , The G0834s has a 5 hp motor with a 96 insert spiral head, it also weighs a couple hundred pounds more than the 0609X does...   I tend to like the higher count of inserts, but I'm not sure of that...plus the G0834 is still not in stock.

Enter the Steelex 1013 - owned by Woodstock/Shop Fox.  It has a 3 hp motor, but comes with the 96 insert spiral head for roughly the same price as the G0609X with 60 inserts.  It looks pretty identical to the Shopfox/Grizzly tools, which makes sense since they are owned by the same parent company.  Table sizes are roughly the same, all are parallelogram designs.  I"m happy with my other Grizzly tools, so I don't have any issue there.  

Any reason not to get the Steelex?   Seems like a good deal with the higher insert count and a lower price than the G0834...

Wait for the G0834 to come in?

I'm not aware of any new alternatives in a similar price range....

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Dave

Dave, I do not know much about Grizzly or Steelex, but will comment about more- versus less inserts ....

In my opinion, this is relatively less important in a jointer. It is not going to create the final finish. More inserts in the thicknesser/planer makes more sense. So, if there is a cheaper version - because it has less inserts - it would not make it less of a machine. Indeed, less inserts may require less horse power.

This thought does not extend to a combination machine. I have the Hammer A3-31, and the same inserts cut the jointer and the thicknesser/planer.

Merry Christmas from Vienna

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I would rather have a Byrd insert head in a jointer than knives. When I was looking for a jointer, I was also looking at old iron. I lucked out with a new machine that I put a byrd head into. The byrd head install took a lot longer than I expected.
Before buying old iron, check to see how expensive a Byrd head would be for it. Byrd heads for common machines like Griz, are much more reasonable than some older vintage machines.
My .02
Karl

I live about 20 minutes from Byrd Tools so a few years ago I went by to get a head for an 8" vintage jointer; I forget exactly how much it was but it was affordable for both head and bearings.

I love my Shelix heads -  fast, quiet and if something nicks one insert it's a quick and easy fix.  Also chips are easier to handle.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)