Shopsmith for cheap
Friend has one he bought 15 to 20 years ago n still in box...never opened. Thinks he has jointer, drill, n maybe others.
Any concerns about corrosion on metal parts n bearings?
(02-04-2019, 01:20 PM)Bill Mains Wrote: Friend has one he bought 15 to 20 years ago n still in box...never opened. Thinks he has jointer, drill, n maybe others.

Always possible. Inspect it.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
If its really cheap, does that matter?  Parts are pretty much available if you need them.  It should be able to be put into working condition if it is as you say it is.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-04-2019, 01:20 PM)Bill Mains Wrote: Friend has one he bought 15 to 20 years ago n still in box...never opened. Thinks he has jointer, drill, n maybe others.

Here is a good site to ask questions get information   http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/
If it has a dial with speed selection/numbers  DO NOT TURN IT WITHOUT MOTOR RUNNING.  The speed is controlled by changing the pulley diameter and can't be moved when not running without potential damage.. If you have limited space it is a good machine, but you have to change for each function.  Requires more pre planning your work.  Ie, can saw a board and then use drill press without undoing saw function and the adding drill. I just got a 1950 model for my son and he is happy, Mine is 1953.. Most owners have more than one.  It should have a drill press(vertical and horizontal) , table saw, disc sander, and lathe.  Band saw, jig saw and joniter were options.  The jointer is only 4". If you don't have one of the tools that it supports it is a good dedicated machine. Mine is mostly used to flatten rings for segmented turnings.
My Shopsmith 10ER, made in 1953, has been a welcome addition to my shop. A drum and an adjustable table turn it into a drum sander to flatten rings. A CBN wheel and a Versa Grind jig turn it into a low-speed sharpening system. Adding the table turns it into that semi-fictional thing known as a flat spot. Because the half-life of a flat spot is so short, I've been unable to capture a pic of it.

Attached Files Image(s)

We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.