File & Rasp Storage
Hi, guys!

I've been acquiring a few rasps & files over the years and have come to a point where I feel some sort of dedicated storage is warranted. I've got a diverse selection ranging from a set of small rifflers and needle files to 14" person cut rasps. 

How have you guys gone about this? Just looking for ideas - and any pics would be great!
Yes

Thanks!
Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
I got a mechanics tool cabinet at Harbor freight, actually, two of them, and I keep my files and rasps flat on a rubber mat in one of the short drawers.  Files and rasps get angry when thrown together, they need their own space.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have a 1-1/2” tall “box” (wide, long, shallow depth) sitting on a shelf in a cabinet with the files on edge, each separated by a 1-1/4” X 1/8” thick rip of wood.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Hanging on a self made wooden wall shelf. They all have handles, so I cut slots in the shelf
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I store my most-used rasps in a rack made of plastic tubing. The tubs are attached to the wooden base with brass screws to prevent damage if a rasp should hit a screw.

[Image: 46988355341_57035d89e2_b.jpg]
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(02-04-2019, 05:01 PM)Big Dave Wrote: Hi, guys!

I've been acquiring a few rasps & files over the years and have come to a point where I feel some sort of dedicated storage is warranted. I've got a diverse selection ranging from a set of small rifflers and needle files to 14" person cut rasps. 

How have you guys gone about this? Just looking for ideas - and any pics would be great!
Yes

Thanks!
Dave
For my good ones, I make a scabbard out of cardboard..{priority mail boxes make good ones} and duct tape {or glue} them together. Cheap and effective.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-04-2019, 08:03 PM)enjuneer Wrote: I store my most-used rasps in a rack made of plastic tubing. The tubs are attached to the wooden base with brass screws to prevent damage if a rasp should hit a screw.

[Image: 46988355341_57035d89e2_b.jpg]
I am curious about the lower hacksaw in the photo on the wall....I have an old one that looks very similar, with Amber celluloid handle scales made by "the New Haven Saw Works"...Wonder if there's a name on yours? Mine is a rugged saw frame.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-04-2019, 09:31 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .......................
I am curious about the lower hacksaw in the photo on the wall....I have an old one that looks very similar, with Amber celluloid handle scales made by "the New Haven Saw Works"...Wonder if there's a name on yours? Mine is a rugged saw frame.

Jack,

Mine is marked "The West Haven Mfg Company" of West Haven, CT. Like yours, it is very sturdy. It is one of my favorite hack saws. I use it often.

[Image: 46078884925_951ce0af8a_b.jpg]

[Image: 46078884835_7164ef86b0_b.jpg]

[Image: 46268527104_0d21503579_b.jpg]
Bob Page
In da U.P. of Michigan
(02-05-2019, 06:14 AM)enjuneer Wrote: Jack,

Mine is marked "The West Haven Mfg Company" of West Haven, CT. Like yours, it is very sturdy. It is one of my favorite hack saws. I use it often.

[Image: 46078884925_951ce0af8a_b.jpg]

[Image: 46078884835_7164ef86b0_b.jpg]

[Image: 46268527104_0d21503579_b.jpg]
Bob, I just looked at the one I have and it is also by the West Haven Mfg. Co. but has just one patent date of Jan.23, 1900. so it is a little older than your....and I was "dis-remembering" the handle ..It is what appears to be walnut..I also didn't get the Mfg. name right but I was just going by my old memory....I have a fondness for hacksaws and am always on the lookout for different styles..I remember buying this saw at the big antique flea market at Sturbridge Ma. many years ago at Martin Donnely's  booth for $35.00..It is really a rugged saw frame...Needless to say I was really surprised to see another hanging on your tool board!!!!! And thank you for posting photos of it!! Now I know another one exists!!!!!!
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-05-2019, 09:33 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: .....................
Bob, I just looked at the one I have and it is also by the West Haven Mfg. Co. but has just one patent date of Jan.23, 1900. so it is a little older than your....and I was "dis-remembering" the handle ..It is what appears to be walnut..I also didn't get the Mfg. name right but I was just going by my old memory....I have a fondness for hacksaws and am always on the lookout for different styles..I remember buying this saw at the big antique flea market at Sturbridge Ma. many years ago at Martin Donnely's  booth for $35.00..It is really a rugged saw frame...Needless to say I was really surprised to see another hanging on your tool board!!!!! And thank you for posting photos of it!! Now I know another one exists!!!!!!
Big Grin

The handle on this one is hard rubber or plastic. This saw looks awkward to use, but it is actually quite comfortable. I think it is because the thrust angle of the handle is very close to the tooth line of the blade.

I bought mine at a tiny antique shop in Boulder Junction, WI for $10.
Bob Page
In da U.P. of Michigan