Stanley 45-55 Class
This past weekend I did a 1 day class on hand cut dovetails. The next class will be on the Stanley 45-55
Mutiplane (Or Sargent, Clifton, Sears etc. This class will be 2 days (Friday March 29 and Saturday March 30). The price is $250.00 The Millersburg Hotel is 1 block away and has a special rate for the Artisans Guild .
For more information see;
http://www.colonialhomestead.org/  

Please Scroll Down

Or call:

Colonial Homestead Artisan’s Guild
181 W. Jackson St.
Millersburg, Ohio 44564
(330) 473-5532

Below is a brief outline of what we will cover, time permitting;

Stanley 45
The 45 (1883-1962) & 55 (1897-1963) were called a Planning mill in a box (Stanley used that space savings advantage in their advertising). This one plane could replace minimum of 23 wooden planes and with special cutters you could order even more.
What are the advantages of the 45-55 over wooden molding planes. What are the advantages of wooden molding planes over the 45-55?
Most metal planes of the day came with a very basic set of instructions, just as today’s new cars come with a manual that shows you what the basics of that model but they don’t show you how to drive.
1. Students will learn the how the 45 and 55 cutters work and the best way to sharpen them.

2. We will spend a few hours sharping cutters, however don’t expect to sharpen them all. Please see the list of sharping supplies to bring.

3. The hows and whys of proper setup. From how hold you work to how to introduce the plane to the board.

Exercises for the 45

We will setup and cut the following:

1. Set up the plane to cut a rebate.
2. Beading stop and cut a Side Bead
3. Center Bead
4. Dado
5. Grove
6. Sash
7. Using the slitting cutter.
8. Fluting

Stanley 55

The Stanley 55 will do all that the 45 does, however with a total of fifty-five cutters and adjustable runners (skates) along with 2 fences that pivot so much more is possible. So much more that Stanley advertised it as “A PLANING MILL WITHIN ITSELF”

Since we already have done the basic 8 operations on the 45 we will skip over those for the 55 and move on to the following;

1. What Runners do I use and setting the adjustable runner along with the Auxiliary center bottom.
2. How to properly set up the fences.
3. Setting the Depth Gauges.

Now on to the fun stuff

1. Grecian Ogee
2. Roman Ogee
3. Reverse Ogee
4. Quarter Hollow (today this molding is called a Quarter Round)
5. Quarter Round (today this molding is called a Scotia)
6. Chamfer either 40 for a right or 41 for a left
7. Reeding

Complex molding

Next we will combine 2 or more profiles to make a piece of larger molding that can be used as a small piece of Crown molding on a piece of furniture.

1.Take the template and draw on the end of your board.
2. Take the 1/4" beading cutter and run the bead in the appropriate place.
3. Take the 1" hollow cutter and run it in the appropriate place.
4. Take the 1" round cutter and run it in the appropriate place.
5. Finish off with your Shoulder plane or small Rabbit plane.

Making custom cutters

We will walk through the easy way of marking out an iron blank to make that custom profile.
what do you do if you only have a 45?
In other classes we have used the buddy system, so for those that don't own both planes sharing benefits both parties. Also Dan Raber ,the owner of Colonial Homestead  is part of the Artisan Guild. He has a loaner for the school. If your not familiar with Colonial Homestead it is an antique tool store that is across the street from the  school. Also even though you don't own both you will benefit by seeing the differences in the 55 and understanding them.
Dan believes that he will have 3 Stanley 55 loaners for students to learn on
I don’t get it. Are you asking if anyone has a 45/55 plane for sale? Are you advertising to see if anyone wants to sign up?
(02-07-2019, 08:05 PM)cvillewood Wrote: I don’t get it. Are you asking if anyone has a 45/55 plane for sale?  Are you advertising to see if anyone wants to sign up?

The OP is an ad to allow woodworkers to sign up for the class being taught by the poster.

It sounds like an interesting class.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Off topic but it looks like there is a huge WW auction near you next weekend. It says it's the 30th annual. I'm considering going, so wondering if you have a feel for what things will go for? I'm guessing this one will draw a crowd. It looks like amish country, and at least around here I haven't had a lot of luck scoring deals at auctions bidding against the amish. My theory is that auctions are like amazon.com for the amish- but if amazon only had one of everything.
iclark is correct. The original post lists out everything we should be able to cover along with using your plane(s) for the exercisers listed. I am a SAPFM member and gave a shortened version of this to our local ORV chapter last year. They hope to have 3 loaner 55's to loan to those that don't have one, so they can gain experience  using it and learn the expanded capabilities over the 45. Worst case scenario is to share with your bench mate. The class is limited to 8 people for this class (so everyone has a chance to learn) and we will be using Poplar to practice on (wood is provided). The goal of this class is to give you enough confidence to start using your multi plane.

Currently the Colonial Homestead Artisans Guild is beta testing a website that is a lot nicer and easier to use, but for now they are still using Facebook. The Millersburg Hotel (1 block away) is giving a discounted rate of approx. $75 a night. If you have any questions you can call Dan at 330-600-9445 this is the # to his antique tool store.

Thanks,
Charles
(02-08-2019, 09:04 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: Off topic but it looks like there is a huge WW auction near you next weekend. It says it's the 30th annual. I'm considering going, so wondering if you have a feel for what things will go for? I'm guessing this one will draw a crowd. It looks like amish country, and at least around here I haven't had a lot of luck scoring deals at auctions bidding against the amish. My theory is that auctions are like amazon.com for the amish- but if amazon only had one of everything.

There are no friends at an auction. Preview is critical. Bring a small straight edge and square with you. Figure out what you want to bid on, determine in your own mind what value that item has to you and stick to it. If you win, good, if not, well the item has greater value to the other guy. Dealers, will stop earlier, since they need to have room for resale, the Amish may be willing to pay more since the auction is basically their retail outlet. Since the OP is not intending on resale, then be willing to pay a little more. The OP is looking for tools in need of some prep in order to get back to work, so don't let light to medium rust be a show stopper. He isn't looking for museum/collector pieces. Look for items that have all their pieces and parts, if a tote is cracked/broken but is all there is still a candidate since you can repair those. Check the blades and assess how much life they have left. If the tool is rusty the back of the blade is likely to be pitted, so you will lose some length grinding back to get to good smooth steel. A back bevel is a good strategy to avoid the pitting issue, but this isn't so for chisels since you do not want a back bevel if the chisel will be used for paring. Saws are generally cheap, make sure they are straight and not kinked. Saw totes can be re-made so an ugly handle isn't a show stopper, but a kinked blade is advanced work to straighten, although a really nasty saw can be used to make scrappers, or even dovetail scribbers ala Rob Cosman.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Is the auction the AirWorks one? If so I’d skip it unless you just want to drool at big machinery. Everything sells for top dollar and the Amish have money to spend apparently. A fair amount of pneumatic powered machinery too. I wasted a day there a couple years ago, but at least got to see some nice arn.