My kitchen remodel
Scroll on down to #15.
https://usdecorating.com/3069-30-awesome...en-design/
I thought I posted this earlier. Anyhow, I'm wondering about the wood movement here. Shouldn't be much I would think.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-08-2019, 07:58 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Some big bold dove tails along the miter would go nicely with big bold walnut. Maybe dove tailed end caps on the exposed ends. Not little cigar box dove tails.
I like that idea but seeing how I've never done a dovetail yet my fear is learning on this counter top.  I think I'm going to go the simple route joining 2-10' 4"+ counter tops and 1-6' and 4' top. 
Yes
(09-08-2019, 08:13 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Scroll on down to #15.
https://usdecorating.com/3069-30-awesome...en-design/
I thought I posted this earlier. Anyhow, I'm wondering about the wood movement here. Shouldn't be much I would think.

Thanks for the link.  If I had something other than a cabinet in the corner I would consider how they did it in #15.  My back up plan if I mess up the miters is to run a 1"-2" wide piece of Walnut between the miters somehow to cover my mistake but I'm hoping I don't have to go that route. 
No
What if you did a herringbone pattern over the corner cabinet rather than the miter?

(09-09-2019, 01:45 PM)crokett™ Wrote: What if you did a herringbone pattern over the corner cabinet rather than the miter?

I like that too. Similar to how it is laid out on the picture above.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Excellent progress in a relatively short amount of time (compared to me anyway). If you do a miter on the countertop corner are you concerned at all with seasonal shrinkage/expansion? A 24" wide top is going to move a bit....

Project looks great.
(09-09-2019, 01:45 PM)crokett™ Wrote: What if you did a herringbone pattern over the corner cabinet rather than the miter?
A good idea but I'm trying to keep it simple and will be happy with just a 45 degree miter.

(09-10-2019, 10:05 AM)joe1086 Wrote: Excellent progress in a relatively short amount of time (compared to me anyway). If you do a miter on the countertop corner are you concerned at all with seasonal shrinkage/expansion? A 24" wide top is going to move a bit....

Project looks great.
Yes, I'm concerned about seasonal movement and why I haven't committed to how I'm going to join each top at the miter.  I've seen it done with biscuits, toggle bolts from the underside, pocket holes and a spline down the center of each top...like a large biscuit.  I don't think there's a "good" way to join them honestly and opinions vary.
(09-10-2019, 10:05 AM)joe1086 Wrote: Excellent progress in a relatively short amount of time (compared to me anyway). If you do a miter on the countertop corner are you concerned at all with seasonal shrinkage/expansion? A 24" wide top is going to move a bit....

Project looks great.

I came to Woodnet originally because I intended to build my own kitchen cabinets. I was by no means a woodworker, no table saw, no planer.. etc. After getting a quote for cabinets, I (we) decided to built them. I did accumulate some tools during the process. They weren't as nice as Duane's but they turned out well. Mine were maple. Some Woodnetters told me that I'd never want to build a kitchen again and they were right. It took me 10 months to complete the cabinets... a long 10 months. I don't think I'd ever want to work with maple again on that scale. I've found cherry is much easier to deal with. We moved from that house and we're onto our second complete rehab again. We bought the cabinets this time. They were here in 2 weeks.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-10-2019, 03:57 PM)Duane N Wrote: A good idea but I'm trying to keep it simple and will be happy with just a 45 degree miter.

Yes, I'm concerned about seasonal movement and why I haven't committed to how I'm going to join each top at the miter.  I've seen it done with biscuits, toggle bolts from the underside, pocket holes and a spline down the center of each top...like a large biscuit.  I don't think there's a "good" way to join them honestly and opinions vary.

I think the herringbone is simpler, or at least there is slightly more margin for error.  Also, I think any gaps due to movement would be less noticeable in zigzag line that changes direction vs one long one in the same direction.

(09-10-2019, 03:57 PM)Duane N Wrote: Yes, I'm concerned about seasonal movement and why I haven't committed to how I'm going to join each top at the miter.  I've seen it done with biscuits, toggle bolts from the underside, pocket holes and a spline down the center of each top...like a large biscuit.  I don't think there's a "good" way to join them honestly and opinions vary.

Then it's a good idea allow some movement on the counter top legs. Looking forward to the final pics.
(09-11-2019, 05:30 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I came to Woodnet originally because I intended to build my own kitchen cabinets. I was by no means a woodworker, no table saw, no planer.. etc. After getting a quote for cabinets, I (we) decided to built them. I did accumulate some tools during the process. They weren't as nice as Duane's but they turned out well. Mine were maple. Some Woodnetters told me that I'd never want to build a kitchen again and they were right. It took me 10 months to complete the cabinets... a long 10 months. I don't think I'd ever want to work with maple again on that scale. I've found cherry is much easier to deal with. We moved from that house and we're onto our second complete rehab again. We bought the cabinets this time. They were here in 2 weeks.

First, thanks for the compliment on the cabinets.  Second...it sounds like I'm following in your shoes.  I accumulated some basic tools once I got back into wood working (I was never a serious wood worker my first go-round either) but picked up a planer and decent table saw before I started the kitchen remodel.  I will probably never build anything out of Red Oak this size again even though I have a lot left over from the tree I had removed in 2017.  I also said I will never build my own cabinets again even though I know what to look out for now and would do things differently.  I'll remember what I learned on furniture I'd like to build in the future...each day wood working is a learning experience for me.