My kitchen remodel
Duane
Very nice is the final finish on that counter top. JUST general finish stain polyurethane ?
I am in the process of building a solid wood counter top for an island and so far have not decided how to. Finish it
I was kicking around using epoxy but I like your counter top a lot and I am afraid of making a big mess using epoxy for my first time
Could you detail how you finished yours (glaze Coats etc or just multi poly coats ?)
Really nice work. Man ship on the whole project
(02-02-2020, 02:43 PM)oakey Wrote: Duane
Very nice is the final finish on that counter top. JUST  general finish stain polyurethane ?
I am in the process of building a solid wood counter top for an island and so far have not decided how to. Finish it
I was kicking  around using epoxy but I like your counter top a lot and I am afraid of making a big mess using epoxy for my first time
Could you detail how you finished yours (glaze Coats etc or just multi poly coats ?)
Really nice work. Man ship on the whole project

I used General Finishes Arm-R-Seal satin finish.  First coat was the sealer coat then 3 coats of the actual finish with light sanding (220 grit) between all the coats.  Each coat of the final finish uses less finish as the wood gets sealed. I like the finish because I could wipe it on with a cotton rag.  I waited 12 hours between coats before sanding and applying the next coat.

This is the finish I used.  The base coat came in a red can...not sure this sealer coat is necessary but I did it anyway.

Duane
thanks much
i believe i will do the same i would hate to wreck a rather large project trying something new
i have used that same general finish a lot it is really durable
I like to try new stuff but i have spend a lot of hours on my counter top
i really like the way yours turned out
I'm past my 1 1/2 year time line remodeling my kitchen but it's getting close to being complete.  I did get a German Shepherd puppy while the remodel was going on, I work a full time job and I also built from scratch about 430 feet of privacy fence so I'm not being too hard on myself.  I finished the grouting on the tile last night and cleaned everything up this morning.  I have a few odds and ends to complete and that should be done by this weekend. 

And my now 1 year old German Shepherd Zoe....she's 85 pounds.

A job well done, you can be justifiably proud of the way it turned out! Can I ask, what cook top is that you selected?  (PS, love the dog!)
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Man I like that..!! Great cabinets. Your countertop is stunning.

Just a heads up... not supposed to have combustible materials over the stove top.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Beautiful work Duane. It looks like your inspector is happy also.

Jim
Jim
(09-09-2020, 05:47 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Man I like that..!! Great cabinets. Your countertop is stunning.

Just a heads up... not supposed to have combustible materials over the stove top.

You mean the cabinet?  Is that because it's gas?

Agree with all the comments... that's a big job, very nice done.  
Yes
(09-10-2020, 06:07 AM)KC Wrote: You mean the cabinet?  Is that because it's gas?

Agree with all the comments... that's a big job, very nice done.  
Yes

The shelf under the microwave. Anything within 30" vertical of the stove top cannot be combustible. Doesn't matter if it's gas or electric. Personally, I don't care but I thought you should know. If the house is sold, the home inspector inspector will note it. So if the shelf wasn't there and the microwave was installed with the rear bracket, he'd be fine.

Vertical Clearance Above Cooking Top. (CMC 921.3.2):Household cooking appliances shall have a vertical clearance above the cooking top of not less than 30 inches to combustible material or metal cabinets. A minimum clearance of 24 inches is permitted where one of the following is installed: 1.The underside of the combustible material or metal cabinet above the cooking top is protected with not less than ¼ inch insulation millboard covered with sheet metal not less than 0.0122 of an inch think. 2.A metal venting hood of sheet metal not less than 0.0122 of an inch thick is installed above the cooking top with a clearance of not less than ¼ inch between the hood and the underside of the combustible material or metal cabinet, and the hood is as wide as the appliance and the centered over the appliance.3.A listed cooking appliance or microwave oven installed over a listed cooking appliances with the terms of the upper appliance listing and the manufacturer’s installation instructions. Microwave ovens shall comply with Section 923.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

You nailed the finishes. The tile is perfect for that kitchen. I do nice work but I usually stumble when it comes down to "what goes well with what".

... Kizar Sosay