DIY-Circular saw guide This is genius
(02-08-2019, 12:13 PM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Laugh
Laugh  Hear that.
I'm still lifting 3/4 ply to the table saw, but it's the PB or MDF that I can't handle anymore. I have to walk it around, prop it up, slide it in place.....
Laugh  or get help

I bought one of these maybe 20 years ago and still use it.  Thinking about getting one of these but just haven't gotten around to it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If I use full sheets or the like a lot, I would rather bite the bullet and get one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xSyCkChG-s

Simon
I use the Emerson All-In-One clamps, which work really well, but this is a handy idea too.

Would it not make more sense, though, to use silicone rubber or something similar in place of the sandpaper? Sandpaper's coefficient of friction isn't anywhere near as high as rubber. This makes sense, since sandpaper is supposed to abrade the wood by moving relatively freely over the surface.
(02-08-2019, 02:30 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: If I use full sheets or the like a lot, I would rather bite the bullet and get one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xSyCkChG-s

Simon

Not a bad idea. I think I would want something on top of the black? square tubing to protect the plywood from skid marks.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-08-2019, 03:11 PM)FS7 Wrote: I use the Emerson All-In-One clamps, which work really well, but this is a handy idea too.

Would it not make more sense, though, to use silicone rubber or something similar in place of the sandpaper? Sandpaper's coefficient of friction isn't anywhere near as high as rubber. This makes sense, since sandpaper is supposed to abrade the wood by moving relatively freely over the surface.

I use those. I have the 2', the 3', 4' and the 8'. I really like them a lot
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I don’t think that rockler table is worth almost $300 to me
If I was going to get something similar to that I’d probably spend around $90 and get the portamate panel carrier

But I’d rather have more support than either one of those, so I’m thinking either a Paulk style work table with a hook, or a torsion box style table that tilts to load plywood

Duke
(02-08-2019, 11:11 PM)JDuke Wrote: I don’t think that rockler table is worth almost $300 to me
If I was going to get something similar to that I’d probably spend around $90 and get the portamate panel carrier

But I’d rather have more support than either one of those, so I’m thinking either a Paulk style work table with a hook, or a torsion box style table that tilts to load plywood

Duke

Yes, seems excessive.
I would want taller castors, say 4". Then get a few lengths of 1" square tubing and put one together for 50-75 dollars, if you have a welder.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-07-2019, 11:53 AM)pprobus Wrote: Everything old is new again.  My dad saw this tip (mostly, I'll get back to that) in a WW'ing magazine back in the '80's.  The only thing different was how it was "clamped" to the piece being cut.  In his case, it was the use of tiny brads that secured the guide to the board being cut.  The holes left by the brads are so small they don't affect the appearance of the board.

That's what I was thinking too.   I can't remember all the times I've seen this jig and how many I've built and scrapped together over the years.

This version is not even complete.  He should have placed the stop strip towards the middle a bit and ripped both sides with the saw (going in the same direction) so that the fence could be used on either side of the jig instead of only one way.

One of my common uses for this jig is to make a longer one and use to bridge lap siding in order to cut in new openings on existing siding.
WoodNET... the new safespace
A lot of new Rockler products are pricey when they come out. The portamate carrier is another option but it works only when your ground from the truck to the shop is relatively flat. You will find it hard to manoveur with a 4 x 8 sheet on it on uneven ground, a conclusion reached by a club fellow who eventually sold it for a custom cart ( he paid only materials as the welder was a good friend).

Simon
I got these cheap adjustable saw horses from HD a few years back. I set them to tailgate height, and then back the truck right up to them. Slide the sheets on and go. Not very old, but too old to be slinging sheet goods around by myself if I don't have to.

[Image: cuttingtable02.JPG]

Love my overpriced tracksaw. The money spent was well worth the time saved in breaking down sheet goods, and way kinder on my body than leveraging a full sheet of ply up to my saw. Before I bought the tracksaw, I used a cleat on a piece of melamine shelving as a poor man's track. It did 90% of what my fancy tracksaw does in terms of breaking down sheet goods. But man do I love that extra 10%¡ Would buy another one the same day if it ever got lost or stolen.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!