no one was more surprised than i
that this actually worked out.

one of my sons and his wife have recently taken up cribbage and their anniversary looms, so i thought i'd try to make something more than kindling and sawdust.

astute purveyors of the amazon can find this very object for about $23 (yes, yes...i liked the idea and shamelessly stole it), but what the hell is the fun in that.

i was contemplating one in the shape of texas (they live in houston), but my scroll saw talent is akin to my ability to forego scotch. that, plus i would have had to buy a template and i'm way, way too frugal for that.

i used some flooring remnants from my sister and brother-in-law (which is why the base/top are only about 5/8" once i milled everything).

i still have to apply a lovely finish...i was thinking of taping the whole thing diagonally and using rustoleum in red, white, and blue...but i'm afraid it may plug the holes. meh, i'll figure out something. also need to source some pegs (you'll note the ones in the pix don't "fit" just right...they're from my board and the new holes are a bit skinnier...seems there is no "standard" for pegs and since i used my board as a template, the new board holes are just a skosh smaller than my own).

i also learned i hate hinges. i mean, i got it to work, but i could have saved literally a full day if i'd just built the lid to lift off (or had not had the overhanging top in the design...hell, anyone can put hinges in the right place on a darn box lid if it matches the dimensions of the base). you folks understand the gymnastics involved...but, as a rookie, i had no idea.

anyway, for me it was a fun, challenging build and i learned a lot of stuff. my new router cabinet was a big plus (once i figured out the hinge mortise issue).

now, if only i could overcome the carpal tunnel problems in my shoulder from drilling all those dang holes...

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks great to me. You are kidding about the R,W & Blue paint? Right? A couple coats of an oil/varnish blend will bring out the grain in the oak.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(02-07-2019, 10:32 PM)shoottmx Wrote: You are kidding about the R,W & Blue paint? Right?  A couple coats of an oil/varnish blend will bring out the grain in the oak.

you think krylon is a better choice?

yeah, i was kidding (sort of...i mean, they're texans).

i like that watco danish stuff.

and, thank you.
Very cool....................
Cool
You did just fine!

They will be pleased.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
What's wrong with red, blue and white paint, huh? I'm a Texan and it looks just fine to me. 
Laugh  Of course some other material should be used for that.

Very nice cribbage set Tad.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
(02-08-2019, 08:09 AM)Redman Wrote: What's wrong with red, blue and white paint, huh? I'm a Texan and it looks just fine to me. 
Laugh  Of course some other material should be used for that.

Very nice cribbage set Tad.

I am impressed with the neat hole pattern. I know from experience an open grain wood like oak tends to allow a small drill bit to wander everywhere but where i want it.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
I sort of cheated and used my own cribbage board as a template. I attached that to the new stock with some two-side tape and then drilled through all the holes with a really good brad-point drill bit in my drill press. (I also drilled two "pilot holes" and used allen wrenches as long pegs to hold the two boards in line; you can see a few "wanders" if you look closely.)

Remarkably, I only "touched" the surface of my board inadvertently twice and the "scars" are hard to spot unless you're looking.

Thanks again to all for the compliments.

Now, if only it would warm up enough for me to glue the thing together...
So, you’re taking credit for spam?!?

Confused
Welcome aboard
Smirk
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.